Progressive Insurance - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2001, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Question

Has anybody gotten their bike insured through Progressive for a reasonable rate?? I just purchased a '00 CBR929 and was going to get it fully insured with Progressive with whom I currently have two autos. Get this, their rate for one year of coverage was..........$10,000.00!!!! Granted, I do have 6 points, but still!! The bike only cost $8500! Anyway, I checked with State Farm, and if I move a car over to them, I can get the bike insured for $800/yr although at a slightly higher rate for my car. Is this the general policy towards bikes at Progressive, or is this just some incredibly weird processing glitch? My rep couldn't believe this either, her opinion is that they just don't want to insure sportbikes. Any other experiences like this out there??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2001, 10:07 PM
Founder

Garage
A few months ago Progressive approched me about advertising on Sportbike World. But after their rates for Sportbikes were brought to my attention I told them no. They are very high on all sportbikes. I REFUSE to let Sportbike World have anything to do with Progressive.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2001, 10:55 PM

I think they just quoted you wrong I've got my 2001 suzuki bandit 1200 insured thru progressive and its just $400 a year for full coverage granted its not a full on sportbike but geez $10,000 I can't believe that!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2001, 11:07 PM
Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by bandit1
I think they just quoted you wrong I've got my 2001 suzuki bandit 1200 insured thru progressive and its just $400 a year for full coverage granted its not a full on sportbike but geez $10,000 I can't believe that!
A Bandit is not considered a Sportbike by Progressive. It's considered a "Sport Tourer" with most insurance companies.

(But I consider it a Sportbike!)

Robert Basil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2001, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert

A Bandit is not considered a Sportbike by Progressive. It's considered a "Sport Tourer" with most insurance companies.

(But I consider it a Sportbike!)
true they go by the letters. they realy don't like the letter "R". that alone usualy doubles the quote.

10,000 sound's like a typo or an agent defect.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2001, 12:56 AM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankieG
...My rep couldn't believe this either, her opinion is that they just don't want to insure sportbikes.
How perceptive!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2001, 01:08 AM
Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by wicked f3
10,000 sound's like a typo or an agent defect.
Actually $10,000 sounds about right for a Sportbike policy coming from progressive. I checked there for my 98ZX9R and was told $11,500 a year (And this is when I had no tickets for over 10 years, and 33 years old).

Progressive is just out to try make sure they don't insure any sportbikes.

Robert Basil

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2001, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert
Progressive is just out to try make sure they don't insure any sportbikes.
You hit the nail on the head Robert. Its their 'polite' way of saying we dont want to insure you. I have never seen a good rate from Progressive.

Just for reference, I pay $192/ 6mo. for full coverage on my VFR. No tickets or accidents.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2001, 06:25 AM

The $10,000 number is loosely based on the MSRP of the 929. Progressive wants anyone with any hits on their record to pay for the bike to them in one year since most high performance sportbikes get crashed in the first 6 months of ownership. I'm not sure if most get crashed in the first 6 months or not but I'm pretty damn sure that most of them don't get totalled in the first year.

Not to piss anyone off, but I got quoted $600 per year for the RC-51 by Progressive. I have a clean record and that was with a $250 deductible. They still can't touch Allstate's rates of $157.10 per year for full coverage and $100 deductible. Just got the bill. This is year two and the rate actually went down. I love insurance bills that make me laugh.

Oops, I messed up. The boss informed me that the $157.10 is the 6 month rate. It still makes me laugh.

Last edited by RCjohn; 02-25-2001 at 08:27 AM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2001, 08:38 AM
Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn
Not to piss anyone off, but I got quoted $600 per year for the RC-51 by Progressive. I have a clean record and that was with a $250 deductible. They still can't touch Allstate's rates of $157.10 per year for full coverage and $100 deductible. Just got the bill. This is year two and the rate actually went down. I love insurance bills that make me laugh.
The only reason your rates are so low is because you get the "Senior Citizens" discount.

Robert Basil

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode