GUNS & Bikes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2001, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Question

Just wondering if any riders here actually carry a gun with them when they ride. The TRUTH now. No macho stuff please. What kind and how do you store it?

I've sport-toured before on my ZX11, trips that sometimes lasted a few days. Being alone in the middle of nowhere, I felt much safer with a loaded .38 snubnose. I didn't really care too much about stopping power. I just wanted something I can fall back on in case things got really bad(it never did). I carried it in my tailbag's small pocket. A couple of times I got really sleepy during a long trip, so I'd pull over to some forrested area or a rest area, find a quiet bench and take a quick nap. I was usually alone in those areas so I'd keep my bag right there in case I needed to whip out the .38. Some folks will find this a bit paranoid(afterall, I wasn't in some 3rd world country), but seriously, I just felt better having my "friend" on stand by.

BTW, not once did I have the desire to pull out the gun to "right things" with other drivers while I was out on the road. Except for a couple of incidents near home, I hardly ever get angry at other motorists around me when I'm out touring on my bike. They just rarely got in my way. And when they did, I'd simply roll that throttle and go. No anger build up whatsoever. Anyway, I only bring my gun when on tour, not on by daily commute, nor my daylong sport rides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2001, 03:26 PM

I have a gun at home but would never even consider taking it with me on a ride. The chances of the gun being used in a positive way are astronomically low. I don't have any desire to take away your right to carry, but I wouldn't do it.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2001, 03:28 PM

I prefer water guns

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2001, 03:52 PM

I've done it a couple of times. Carried in my tank bag. Usually not needed on the bike but you can bet, when I'm traveling with the bike(s) on the trailer, that it is in my truck with me. I'm not telling where though.

BTW, Tristan I don't carry the gun to be used in a positive way. If someone attacks me then it is definitely a negative thing. The odds of that are astronomically low. Killing is not positive. Except those Iraqi bastards.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2001, 06:21 PM

I have guns and I have a bike, but so far I haven't had them together. If concealed carry becomes an option in Ohio then I will probably go for it.

On the positive side, my usual riding buddy is a cop, so he is required to carry. In fact, his fellow officers in the department have nicknamed him Tackleberry.<---think Police Academy Movies
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2001, 09:27 PM

I like them both and have them both (Guns and bikes) but I have'nt felt it necessary to carry on the bike. I do carry on car trips. Whenever I go to Vegas, its fun to pull off on some road in the desert and shoot some bushes -its actually legal to do so out there! go figure
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2001, 01:52 PM

Not to seem like a militant or anything, but I always carry my little GLOCK 27 (.40 S&W) with me. I have sewn a nylon holster in my tank bag that holds it quite nicely. I have found this to be my favorite "bike gun" due to is small size and weight, and if ever needed, it has enough stopping power to end most confrontations. This is definately not an option for everyone however. I have just gotten used to being armed all the time due to my job, so I continue when on my bike. Like you Rogue_Biker, I have never had the desire to pull out my weapon on anyone. That should be the last thing anyone would want to do. No matter the circumstances, if you shoot another human being, you are going to have major problems. You will probably be arrested, regardless of the situation. You will then need to hire an attorney and you won't be able to go cheap either, this is your freedom we're talking about! If you are not charged criminally, you will most likely have a wrongful death suit brought against you in civil court. You may get lucky and your attorney may be able to win, but his fees will be nothing to sneeze at. And if you lose, well.... In my opinion, you must look at the consequences of what could happen in an armed confrontation and decide if you are willing to accept those consequences in order to save your life or the life of someone you love.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-24-2001, 04:37 PM

I know of a few people who carry a gun on their bikes. I myself, am not a gun person.

I have a question for those that do though. I understand how the guns function in a general sense, but not real specifically. Would there be any chance the safety could vibrate to the off position, since there is a lot of high ressoance vibration on some sportbikes? Also, how about effecting the gun, as far as wearing out the parts, it would seem the vibrations could wear out mechanical parts prematurely huh? Just random questions that popped in my head.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2001, 06:31 PM

Well, we cant carry concealed in WI, BUT we can carry openly. This is legal in WI, so DONT CUT ME OFF!

Yes thats an Armalite AR-50 mounted in the fairing. Trigger and safety are handlebar mounted. All done with servos. This could explain why I dont get speeding tickets.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2001, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RedNinja
I prefer water guns
LMAO!!! hehehe in your tankbag?

Joe!
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 7,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium exhaust system, K&N, Jetted, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Co-owner/Administrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode