2 up riding - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Question

I am looking for my first ride and after I get a little more confident I plan on riding 2-up with my wife. I was wondering if there were some suggestions on which bikes to be looking at. As a guide line the least sporty I would consider (as far as looks go) would be a GS 500 Suzuki. I am 6'-4" 200 lbs. 26 years old.
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 03:10 PM

I suggest a VFR 800. Plenty of power for some 2-up riding but still easy enough to learn on. Has about the same power as the 600s but is probably the best all-around sportbike ever built. A '96 VFR750 is what I learned on(not counting the QA50 I had at age 7 ).
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 03:36 PM

Good call on the VFR John. But since you already have Kawi in your name, how about a ZR-7...very sweet IMO and probably great 2-up as well. Here's a link to a review on it.

http://www.activebike.com/index/features/zr7/zr7.htm

I just had a quick glance over the article again and they had this to say comparing the ZR-7 to a VFR.

"On the street, though, the Kawasaki ZR-7 matches the VFR turn for turn, mile after mile—for half the price and with greater comfort."

Last edited by Rug Burn; 02-20-2001 at 03:38 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 04:07 PM

Buy two bikes. One for you, and one for your wife. Riding with a pillion just plain sucks, and you have a lot more fun when you are riding your own bikes. My girlfriend has a CBR600f3 (Smoking Joe) and we have an absolute blast together. Talk about spending quality time!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 05:01 PM
Dad

Have you considered "his and hers"? If she is interested in bikes, why not ride her own? Although some are way better than others, I am not sure of any sportbike thats "good" for a passenger. I suspect that at 6'-4" you might get a little crowded on most of them except maybe the Honda XX or Hayabusa, neither of which is a beginner bike and leaves the passenger with their legs up somewhere near their ears. Bikes for passengers are kinda' the realm of the Gold Wing or maybe the ST-1100 or Concourse if you have any hopes of real comfort for rider and passenger. Why not sign up both of you for the MSF course and see how it goes from there? They furnish the bikes, too. Minimal cost to feel it out. Just another way to look at it, maybe.

Edit: I see Rossco 929 was posting the same thought. Sorry for the duplication.

Last edited by Dad; 02-20-2001 at 05:07 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 05:34 PM

Yep, as Rossco929 said, riding a sportbike with a passenger just plain sucks! I agree with both Rossco and Dad, she needs her own ride.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 06:18 PM

I guess I should chime back in here. His and Hers is the funnest way to go. My wife says she don't know how she ever rode on the back of my VFR. She loves her SV650 Suzuki.

Let's face it with the comparo between the ZR-7 and the VFR. There is no comparison... the VFR is beautiful and the ZR-7 is not.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 07:56 PM

Thumbs up Options,options.....

A couple others to consider.......
Katana750,Bandit600,Katana600.

The VFR800 is probably the King of this class tho'.

Jim

P.S. I hate having a passenger too.Takes a lot of the fun out of the ride!!

Last edited by katana600; 02-20-2001 at 08:00 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 08:11 PM

I have to disagree, all these squids are...just that, squids! heh. Riding with a passenger on a sportbike is fun for me. I am willing to bet that a lot of these guys don't like it because they are afraid of it, and they've done it like once or twice That or they've done it a bit, and never gotten used to it. I could maneuver with a passenger real well, and it's always a blast to show a girl a fun time on the back of a bike. Riding theirselves is not for everyone, male or female, so this gives them the chance to experience it and have fun.

Anyhow, I think the VFR800 would also be great, what's a Kawasaki? Oh, those weird colored things that people buy if the shops out of Buells? oh he he he he, couldn't resist! *high fives RCJohn*
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 08:27 PM

ROFLMAO!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode