Tragedy at the Daytona 500 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Dale Earnhart was killed instantly when his car slammed head-on into the turn 4 wall on the last lap of the Daytona 500. His crash looked tame compared to the 18 car meelay that happened 30 laps before his crash. This was the first NASCAR race I watched start to finish in a few years (I wanted a Dodge to win thats why). The racing was actually good this time. I'm no Earnhart fan, but its something you dont want to hear about. At least he died doing what he loved to do. RIP Dale Sr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 05:24 PM

Oh my goodness. There are rarely any deaths in almost any motorsports these days, I can' t believe this. And for it to happen to someone like Dale Earnhardt, damn.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 05:45 PM

i couldnt believe it when it happened. the whole thing went from a big celebration for m waltrip's 1st win to somber for the death of a legend.

salute- to one of the greatest racers ever. rip

the crash occured just one turn away from the finish and he was trying to hold back the pack for E jr and m waltrip(his new driver). a team player to the end.

Last edited by orchid; 02-18-2001 at 05:51 PM.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 05:53 PM

It was a great race until after I turned on CNN later and found out what had happened to Dale. Our prayers go out to the family.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by YZFRob
At least he died doing what he loved to do. RIP Dale Sr.
I agree totally. It is a tragedy, but he did die "doing what he loved" and if I had a choice about the way I died, I'd want it to be during something I enjoyed. Not when I was 90+ years of age not being able to walk and think clearly. Everyone will remember Dale Earnhart as the Nascar legend that he was.

RIP Dale
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 07:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
dale was a winner from his first season in NASCAR until today.

without a dale earnhardt for fans to love and hate, NASCAR probably wouldn't be where it is today.

i was never a fan, but always impressed at his ability to dial in a car.

i was so happy for mikey waltrip. it was a well deserved win for a nice guy. i remember watching ken schader's (sp?) comments afterwards and knew things were bad, but i had no idea.

GOD SPEED

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 07:33 PM

Thumbs down Tragedy

I just saw Dale`s accident on CNN and can`t believe that he died,it just didn`t seem like that serious.
Yes,he will be missed,godspeed Dale...
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 08:02 PM
Founder

Garage
I was shocked to hear the news also, even though I am not a Nascar fan racing is racing and I respect anyone who has the skill to compete.

RIP Dale.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 08:19 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by orchid
i couldnt believe it when it happened. the whole thing went from a big celebration for m waltrip's 1st win to somber for the death of a legend.

salute- to one of the greatest racers ever. rip

the crash occured just one turn away from the finish and he was trying to hold back the pack for E jr and m waltrip(his new driver). a team player to the end.
Tho' I wasn't one of his biggest fans,those that have followed NASCAR know that Dale Earnhart could have won the race,but,held back so Jr. and Mikey,his two team mate cars could race to the finish.
Dale you were an Icon and a hero to many and your not being here will be missed by many.
My God be with you and your family....you will be missed........

Jim
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 08:48 PM

Unhappy

Oh my...I just found this out from this forum! That is terrible. Although I am not a stock car fan, I hate to hear of such tragedies in any sport. My prayers to his family and friends. RIP, you will be missed. I'm sure he was enjoying life to the fullest, doing what he loved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode