Bye Bye 900RR, Hello VFR! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Well, I canít believe it myself, but I got rid of my beloved 900RR and bought a 2001 Honda VFR800FI. I loved the RR but realistically I could never use the RR for what is was made for (Going Fast and hard!) and it was damn uncomfortable commuting to work. I only get to ride the twisties once or maybe twice a month anyway and the VFR is surprisingly agile! SO, The VFR offered what I wanted as closely as possible; its much more comfy, has decent power, fine handling, GREAT SOUND, looks beautiful, and is unique unto itself. I love the single sided swing arm and the Gear driven cam sound!! You younger guys wonít understand, but anyone 30 and over should know what I mean - I went sensible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 07:11 PM

Oh No! Say it ain't so!

Congratulations on the new bike. I think you took a step down (maybe sideways and a little down ), but that's just my opinion and that sounds like what you wanted.
Of course, I may be a little biased towards the RR. .

[Edited by RRDon on 02-04-2001 at 08:15 PM]
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Ya Don, its all how you look at it. Yes, down in power a bit, but Up in everyday useability...

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 09:32 PM
Dad

I am 47, riding 32 years now, and I know exactly what you're talking about. Congratulations! In case you don't already know it, when you get used to the VFR you'll still be able to go WAY faster than anybody should on a public road and even lose 95% of the riders out there in the twisties if your skills are up to it, regardless of what they're riding . The nice part is that you can do it all day while they're nursing sore parts. Titanium bolts, removing the chain guard, the latest exhaust can from Max Decibals, two more horsepower, etc. will never substitute for smooth riding, gauging your entry speeds, picking your lines, confidence in your bike's abilities and your's to use them, and putting it all together down a good twisty road.

The real test comes at the parts counter. Will you be able to keep the stock exhaust or will that be too much of a shock to your system?(joke) If you can stand it, the stealth may save you some tickets by not announcing to every cop in a 20 mile radius what you're up to and your ears will love you at the end of a long day!

Before anybody takes the heat, please understand that actually, I love it all. The loud pipes, too. I'm just way beyond dealing with it or spending money on it. I do good maintenance, spend money on good tires, and go wear them out (five sets last year), preferrably edges first, all over the East and Northeast mountains. I guess what I'm trying to say is... I understand your choice completely. Good Luck!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 09:55 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Talking Good Choice

Good choice on bikes. I have a 99. Love that thing. I have ridden other bikes, nothing compared to a VFR. Put a Two Brothers High Pipe and that thing will sound sweet!

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 03:31 PM

Kyle is turning into a GIRL.

J/K
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Dad
The real test comes at the parts counter. Will you be able to keep the stock exhaust or will that be too much of a shock to your system?(joke)
Actually, while they were preparing the paperwork, I went up to the parts counter and ordered a Erion Racing pipe. I just wanna hear MORE of that sweet V4 sound!

Thanks for the vote on my side Dad! And BTW, I was checking specs. in one of the rags today and noticed that the VFR will outrun ALL the top 600s!! Thats cool because If I have the power of my old F4 and the comfort and ride of the VFR, I got exactly what I wanted. So they may get me in the twisties, but they would have on my RR anyway! -To remedie that, I will be putting more time in on the twisties and going to more track days JUST so I can spank the young punks up to the local hang.
~~~HEY DANF4, did ya hear that? LETS GO TO THE TRACK!!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn
Kyle is turning into a GIRL.

J/K
Lol JOhn! I USED to feel kinda bad about how much the other guys pick on you, but now Im gonna have to join in!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 06:23 PM

blah, all the posts gone from this thread

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 06:34 AM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Nance
blah, all the posts gone from this thread

Here ya go, Rob...

(1) A stock VFR has only one can.
(2) On a more serious note, the LBS system on the VFR...it is sort of like a "continuous" system, but not exactly. When the front brake is applied, you get roughly 70% front braking and 30% rear braking. Conversely, apply the rear brake, you get 70% rear, 30% front. With this system, you never get 100% on either front or rear. And if you were to run a new line from the front master cylinder straight to the front calipers, you'd still only get 70%. Further, more costly, modifications would be necessary to completely disable the LBS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode