Anyone know about 3G phone to laptop tethering? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Anyone know about 3G phone to laptop tethering?

I'm probably going to be given a new verizon phone for work that is 3g capable. Work used to pay for my home internet, but now we're going to have to tether our phones to our laptops if we want to use the net. This sucks for me because I have a wireless network set up at home and don't have to pay for anything.

So here are some questions. Does anyone know if I can talk on the phone and use the internet on the laptop at the same time? Do you know if there is an extra cost associated with tethering your phone to the computer? How fast is the thethered connection compared to a regular connection? Can you think of any reason why I can argue that I should still have my cable internet paid for?

God damn I hate technology.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 04:08 AM
Strength and Honor

If you're utilizing sensitive data, that would be an easy argument for why this is a bad idea. Wireless networks are not very secure for transmitting sensitive or restricted data, even with WEP/WPA/etc enabled.

If you don't do that, is availability an issue? That's frequently a complaint if you're tooling around using it, though Verizon is probably the best that can be gotten for US-wide service (IMHO).

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I could try the sensetive data angle. I have a hundred peoples SSN's on my computer.

Quote:
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 06:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
Hey Tipp!

I used to run the Verizon Broadband Access Connect through my Blackberry Curve for my work laptop.

For starters, you CANNOT use your cell phone while you are using the data connection. If you receive a call, you tend to lose your connection if you answer it. The cost of tethering is an extra $15/month on top of your typical connection. You'll also want to upgrade your data plan to unlimited (if it is not already unlimited). The connection speed is pretty reasonable. I was concerned about the speed because I find my Curve to be painfully sluggish when using the built-in browsing. But I was able to run all my Flash apps without too much bogging. My job entails use of not only Flash, but also 5-to-1 simultaneous IM communication. I was able to run all of that through the BAC line.

The biggest downfall, IMHO, is that you can't be on a conference call and be online.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

The confrence call thing won't effect me. I was hoping I could argue that the connection was so slow that I won't be able upload and download stuff onto our remote server. For it costing 15 bucks to use this slow ass thing, I'd argue that they should just pay another $25 a month for a faster, reliable connection.

Quote:
WARNING
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 03:57 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippmann View Post
The confrence call thing won't effect me. I was hoping I could argue that the connection was so slow that I won't be able upload and download stuff onto our remote server. For it costing 15 bucks to use this slow ass thing, I'd argue that they should just pay another $25 a month for a faster, reliable, secure connection.
Fixed that for you

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
Fixed that for you
Thanks buddy, but I think I may have lost the battle at work.

Quote:
WARNING
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 04:49 AM
Strength and Honor

Yeah, glad to see you're still in a fighting mood. I've long ago resigned myself to the choices upper management makes and now try to change those opinions before they become decision, but that means I had to drink the Kool-aid!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode