For Those Who Know About Home Loans, My Potential First Home - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
For Those Who Know About Home Loans, My Potential First Home

With interest rates lower than they have been in my lifetime, I知 considering buying a house when my renters lease runs out in June. Here痴 the problem. I知 definitely not going to have 20% to put down. Not that I知 bad with money or anything, but seeing the interest rates go down again was a bit of a surprise. We (wife and I) just bought a new car for about 20k 3 months ago and drained the bulk of our savings.

A decent little starter house with a nice yard, 3 bedrooms, and 1.5 baths goes for about 125k in my area. We only have about 6k in the bank and there is no physical way we will be able to bank another 14k between now and June.

So here is the question. Do you think it be worth it to put like 10-12k down right now and have to pay the additional insurance costs until that 20% is covered, OR continue to pay 545/month in rent for another year then buy the house w/20% down at what would probably be a higher interest rate.

I知 just trying to get some ideas.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Strength and Honor

In my area at least, I am hearing that all the bankruptcies are now causing lenders to require 20% down and a credit score of 700 or higher. I'm not saying you can't get one, but even borrowing the money from one set of parents and paying them back should be something you explore before you talk to someone about picking up a mortgage.

And I have a general take here. Yes, this is a spectacular time to buy a house. Further, I think the pent up purchasing needs for homes, cars, and a host of other things is about to (or already) break loose. Anecdotal evidence to this fact include that we just bought a car and in chatting with the sales guy he said they had an amazing month of moving units. Further, a friend's house just went on the market and in less than 12 hours already have someone coming in for a walkthrough. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect either of those two things to happen, much less both. Lastly, my Realtor indicates she is seeing more activity and considering we're in an auto-based state, that alone is shocking.

This being the first house, you actually have more flexibility than everyone else. Chat with a mortgage broker about ALL your options, including FHA loans. First time home buyers get some perks and can do things that people who already have a home can't, but I can't remember them all. Borrowing from your 401k is one option, for instance (though all financial magazines I read recommend against that).

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Thanks for the help. I know we both have higher credit scores than 700, so that's good. I just don't know about the 20% thing. I'll have to contact some mortgage brokers and see what they have to say.

I would also imagine that if we wanted to buy a 125k house we could scrape together $25,000 from my family and hers. I'm not sure on that, but it may work.

EDIT:
Just for shits and giggles I figured out that we could likely accumulate between 13k-15k by the end of my lease. We'd only need to borrow about 10,000 then, not counting closing costs and shit like that.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Strength and Honor

Money borrowed from relatives usually does have to be disclosed as we did a little of that since we failed to account for closing costs when we first started looking.

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 11:03 AM

When we bought our block of land, we borrowed $30k from Mrs Tree's parents to avoid having to pay mortgage insurance. We simply had to sign a stat-dec stating that the money was a gift and wasn't required to be repaid.

There are ways around things. Good luck. Owning your own home is farkin' awesome!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 12:46 PM

Do not borrow from your 401k. It counts as income, and you have to pay taxes on it.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 05:20 PM

When I bought my house i did an 80-20 loan. They did 2 seperate loans. The borrowed against the house in a home equity loan for the 20% to get way from the morgage insurance. That insurance is tax deductable i think. With that loan i put zero down and i do have a credit score around 730 though. Have to just talk to a loan officer at a bank. I shopped around to get the lowest rate then just went with a local bank on a fixed rate morgage. I cant see going with a broker. I rather have my loan local incase i wanna refinance and such. Hope this helps
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 05:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Tipp, what area are you looking to buy in?

If you weren't looking for a sizable yard, I would sell you my house.

When I bought my house, I didn't really have to have anything down except hand money for my realtor. Cost me a couple of grand. I am sure it would have helped if I had 15% down, but when I told them I didn't have much to put down, they said not a problem and worked with me.

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 03:36 PM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Do not borrow from your 401k. It counts as income, and you have to pay taxes on it.
You only get taxed if you don't repay the loan. I borrowed from my 401k to get our house and it's set up on a 10 year repayment term. We're not being penalized at all for it because it's a primary residence (I think you do get dinged if it's a second house, not sure on that though). As it turned out with the current economy we're better off with that money in the house because the 401k tanked recently (as I'm sure most people's have).

My only advice is that if you have to get creative with the financing, you can't afford it. Fortunately with the current economy those creative financing deals are mostly gone. We basically said if we can't get approved for a 30 year fixed rate we need to look at a lower price range.

Mainly just do your research and know about closing costs, property taxes, homeowners associations and their rules/covenants (some of these rules can be incredibly stupid), etc. For us, the main things we wanted were to be able to put up a storage shed, build a fence for the kids and dog, have a deck, maybe a basketball goal, garden, etc. Since the house we bought had all of those it was fine, but some places don't allow that. Learn what your easements are too. Most of this can be found online, just do the research so you don't go into closing and get surprised by something.

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 11:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
Shop around at different banks - even if they aren't where you keep your checking/savings. When I was shopping for mortgages a few years ago, I was able to get a sizable discount with the bank that already held the deed for the house I was buying, and I saved even more by going with auto-withdrawal by changing banks to them entirely. There are so many options as a first-time buyer, so make sure you look at everything... there are still mortgages available with as little as 3-5% down, but the interest rates do climb at those amounts. Maybe you can look into getting just a 6month lease out of your current abode to save at least a little more cash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode