Browser question - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Browser question

On my work computer, if I type text directly into the address bar, that isn't an adress, I am sent to google's page. Often times google guesses exactly what page I want if its close enough. For example, if I type "mcmaster" I will find myself at the mcmaster-carr website. Which is pretty convenient.

However, on my home computer, I'm sent to yahoo's search site, which never takes a chance, and generally sucks at finding the right site. Is there a way I can change this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 05:58 AM
Strength and Honor

Yes. What browser?

Nix that question. I'll be you're using Firefox. Here's a nice page about the subject.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

Last edited by kanwisch; 11-12-2008 at 06:01 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Both IE and firefox, but I'm more interested in the latter

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!

I freaking despise yahoo and all it stands for.

OT: know what other company has been getting on my nerves. Apple. They are suppose to be everything that the rest of the guys are not. Yet they don't seem to realize that just because I'm pretty much forced into having quick time, does not mean that I want safari and itunes as well. Wish they would quit asking me at every single update. Weren't they the one that raised this huge stink about microsoft packaging all their software together?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 06:52 AM
Strength and Honor

My IE here at work doesn't do that auto-search thing at all (get a Page Not Found). Obviously the aforementioned link deals with Firefox.

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

The fix will do great. I use firefox, the girl uses IE. She can keep all the toolbars that she likes (why?!?!?!?!?) and I can have my clean, unclattered interface.

kan, what antivirus, anti spywere programs do you recommend? I'm still using norton, which I find to be close to worthless, in that it catches nothing. Spyhunter does a pretty good job, but I feel it misses a great deal as well. Work computers run panda, and seem pretty secure, but of course we are sitting behind god knows how many firewalls, dedicated servers, and a full time IT team.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Strength and Honor

My current pick for security products are one solution for Windows boxes: Kaspspersky

You can get it free after rebate, too I've been doing that for two years running now. Used to be an AVG fan but that went downhill without a driver (recent problem). Kaspersky is also the solution I've used where I volunteer as a technology chair and it has a sweet set of central administration tools.

Once upon a time I ran many products, but troubleshooting every time something went wrong almost always resulted in a realization that two of the security products interfered with each other, so I abandoned things like Spyhunter (my last fav spyware/malware tool), Adware, Spybot.

Norton and McAfee are renowned for hogging resources. Long, long ago Norton was tops. I also used ZoneAlarm for a while until my license for updates expired and the tool refused to continue working at all (even with the old libraries), which sent me over the edge

Yes, using only a single product opens me up to some issues, but I've decided that they are less likely and more easily dealt with than dealing with frequent software collisions. YMMV.

How about a real IT security solution? I'm sure your router has a firewall (step 1). I'm sure you use one system for browsing the net and doing all the other entertaining stuff including email (step 2). How about also setting up a Linux box on which you only do your serious stuff, like banking, investing, or work access? No file sharing on it, closed up firewall (usually default with Linux), and frequently patched. Your IT security guys would probably really appreciate that and AFAIC, its the next step in staying ahead of the vast majority of crackers.

Last edited by kanwisch; 11-12-2008 at 07:37 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 06:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
ewwwwww, I like this thread

http://www.bikerplanet.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode