Grill Secrets - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to sisqo
Grill Secrets

Thought I would see if anyone else liked to cook out on the pit. Post your favorite recipes here if you have any. Everyone should benefit from this.........well, except for you northerner's.

You have the right to remain silent and errrm open your legs furrr me. -drunk friend and oblivious female-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 04:24 PM

Here's my favourite recipe:

Ingredients
1" thick steak - allowed to warm to room temperature so it doesn't pull all of the heat out of the BBQ plate.
DO NOT SEASON with spices and other poofter sh*t!!! The BBQ plate will add all the "seasoning" required.

Method
Place on a medium / hot BBQ plate - not a grill - we want those juices working for us, not disappearing.
Cook until it starts to bleed through.
Flip and repeat.
Use the "rule of thumb" to make sure it's medium-cooked.
Remove from BBQ.
Allow to rest momentarilly while you garnish with a sizeable portion of thick, beer-battered chips (fries).
Accompany with a nice, frosty brew.

Eat, drink and enjoy!

Fark, I'm hungry now. I know what I'm having for dinner tonight!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 04:00 AM
Strength and Honor

If I could grill spaghetti I would. I love using the grill in the summer. Not sure I have any special recipes, but my wife's favorite is this:
  1. New potatoes sliced thinly
  2. Lay out Alum foil
  3. Put a light EVOO spread on the foil
  4. Lay down 2-3 layers of potatoes
  5. Salt (thoroughly), pepper
  6. Repeat 3-5 until potatoes are in an even pile
  7. Put a foil "lid" and seal edges of foils together
  8. Cook over indirect heat ~20min

Cookee, I'm not sure I would ever cook meat without the use of some salt. Its purpose is to enhance the flavor without ever tasting salt. Are you sure you don't use that? The room-temp approach is an excellent one, generally speaking, unless you like really rare

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 06:56 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
  1. New potatoes sliced thinly
  2. Lay out Alum foil
  3. Put a light EVOO spread on the foil
  4. Lay down 2-3 layers of potatoes
  5. Salt (thoroughly), pepper
  6. Repeat 3-5 until potatoes are in an even pile
  7. Put a foil "lid" and seal edges of foils together
  8. Cook over indirect heat ~20min
The only thing I'd change is putting it over direct heat for a time. For some reason I love those burnt ones!!

I agree with cookee, a steak should not need any seasoning at all provided 1) it is a quality cut of meat, and 2) it is properly cooked (to medium rare for me). Dodgy meats and poor grillers who mash all of the juices out will require some sort of seasoning to make the resulting shoe-leather edible. Sauces only required in the most extreme cases where you can't decide whether to eat the steak or reshingle your house with it. Anything beyond that (read: charcoal) goes directly to the dog, or the trash if she turns her nose up at it.

I could eat off the grill year-round, though sadly this summer we haven't used it as much as in past years.

Other favorites are grilled corn on the cob. Leave the husk on, or if it is gone wrap it in foil and throw on the grill. Good Indiana sweet corn will, as with the steaks, require no seasoning such as butter and salt, though a lot of people use them.

Really, just about anything is good on the grill if cooked properly.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 07:14 AM
Some days are like this.

A side that we've enjoyed this summer:

crook-neck squash
yellow squash
zucchini
vadalia onion
spring fresh rosemary
light olive oil
pepper
clove of garlic

Chop all squash, slice onion, mince herbs and garlic. Toss in bowl with a dash of olive oil and a dash or two of pepper. Place in grill basket, grill on medium heat until tender. Yum!
two or three fresh basil leaves

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
...Cookee, I'm not sure I would ever cook meat without the use of some salt. Its purpose is to enhance the flavor without ever tasting salt. Are you sure you don't use that? The room-temp approach is an excellent one, generally speaking, unless you like really rare
Nope, no salt whatsoever. Well, perhaps on the fries, but not on the steak.

The room-temperature tip was given to me by a friend. It's amazing the difference it makes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicersh View Post
...I agree with cookee, a steak should not need any seasoning at all provided 1) it is a quality cut of meat, and 2) it is properly cooked (to medium rare for me). Dodgy meats and poor grillers who mash all of the juices out will require some sort of seasoning to make the resulting shoe-leather edible. Sauces only required in the most extreme cases where you can't decide whether to eat the steak or reshingle your house with it. Anything beyond that (read: charcoal) goes directly to the dog, or the trash if she turns her nose up at it.

I could eat off the grill year-round, though sadly this summer we haven't used it as much as in past years...
My cousin, for some reason, cannot let a piece of meat sit still on a BBQ. He's forever prodding it, getting it to make sizzling sounds while turning it into a nice piece of leather.

If I've got even one piece of meat to cook, I do it on the BBQ. I've got a huge LPG-fuelled BBQ that takes only a few minutes to heat up and the taste simply can't be equalled when cooking it on a frying pan in the kitchen.

Do you guys use the "rule of thumb"?

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to sisqo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookeetree View Post

........and your rule of thumb is???

Im working on a new marinade at the moment. Should have it in order by the weekend's end. My all time favorite: Teriyaki Marinade (great on any meat)

1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup rice wine
2 tbsp garlic
3 tbsp minced ginger
3 tbsp chopped green onion
touch of pineapple concentrate for good measure

place all ingredients in a sauce pan less pineapple juice. Simmer low heat until brown sugar dissolves. Let mixture cool, pour 2/3's in sauce pan or plate and pour the extra 1/3 over the top of steaks once you have added them. Put in fridge for around 3 to 4 hours (turning the steaks a bit helps them marinate) This is the ONLY seasoning I use on my steaks. The juices hold to the steak very well while cooking. I dispise A-1, Heinz and the like. Whats the point in eating a steak if all you taste is sauce. Anyway, marinate and cook medium rare to medium and you will enjoy.

BTW Anyone ever grill fish?? Havent tried it yet and I would like to add new flare to the weekend grill sessions. Anyone have any recommendations??

You have the right to remain silent and errrm open your legs furrr me. -drunk friend and oblivious female-

Last edited by sisqo; 10-08-2008 at 06:33 PM.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 04:18 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookeetree View Post
I do if I have a request for anything other than "rare."

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 04:58 AM
Some days are like this.

sh has grilled salmon steaks a few times and said they were good. I'm allergic to fish, so I could give a crap.

That teriyaki sounds awesome... I might have to toss a bit in with the General Tso's recipe I have been tinkering with.

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 06:20 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Hey, cookee: when you talk about a BBQ plate, do you mean a griddle?

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode