Anyone ever use Shark Bite fittings? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Anyone ever use Shark Bite fittings?

I'm installing a water powered backup sump pump this weekend and need to tee into the existing copper main. I was planning on just going the old fashioned route and soldering everything using all copper. With the current price on copper, and the fact that I don't currently have a torch, solder, flux, or brushes I wondered about using Shark Bite fittings (or their equivalent from Lowes, Gator Bite) and PEX tubing.

Anyone have any experience with the Shark Bite fittings? I've searched around online with mostly mixed reviews.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 12:16 PM

Used them for line for a washing machine. Worked just fine. I would get one extra fitting just in case, and keep your tubing so that you got some slack, so that you can cut a small piece off in order to try again.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 03:49 AM
Strength and Honor

Nope, haven't used it. I picked up the materials to do the full copper changes. But we do have some of those installed to feed things like our fridge ice maker and they don't leak. 'Course, you can never remove them either

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 07:22 AM

Those shark bite fittings are great. They are actually rated for non-accessible connections, meaning you can bury them underground and behind walls. I haven't heard any reports of them failing.

I would stay away from the Lowe's version though. Actually, just stay away from Lowe's in general.
http://www.thestreet.com/video/10578...ml#34242035001
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
'Course, you can never remove them either
Actually you can. There is a little tool that is sold along with the fittings that removes them.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
We don't have a Home Depot, so we went with the Gator Bite ones from Lowes. Work just fine. I used the Watts plastic ones to redo the plumbing in the basement with PEX too. Works fine, and gets the job done much faster. I hate soldering copper.

We'll see on the longevity. It's been a year with no issues, but from all of the reading I've done as long as the connection stays stationary (little or no vibration) the mechanical fittings should last quite some time.

Man this is an old thread.

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 04:26 PM

Well, when you're gone for a long time, it matters little how old the thread is.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 04:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to 97yzfinwyo Send a message via Yahoo to 97yzfinwyo
fittings

since this is an old thread we should see how them fittings and plastic tubing is holding up. I know for a fact this is a good product. my brother owns a plumbing business and at first he was skeptical of this. but after using it and seeing the life span so far and amount of no problems he is a believer. I have worked for him on the side once in while to help out and I do remember one thing on these is before putting the tubing into the fittings make sure you use the tool to clean the edges of tubing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode