Gerbil's escape from cage blamed for accident - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Gerbil's escape from cage blamed for accident

SPRINGVILLE, Utah (AP) - Police say a teenage driver who lost control of her car while scrambling to capture her pet gerbil wasn't cited for an accident that hospitalized two people. Lt. Dave Caron said the gerbil escaped from its cage while the 17-year-old driver was southbound on state Route 51 Tuesday morning.

Making a grab for the fuzzy escape artist, the driver veered off the road and hit a stranded truck hooked to another truck by jumper cables.

The impact pushed the two trucks together, pinning a woman in between. She suffered a broken leg. A male co-worker helping the woman with her truck also suffered a broken leg. Both were taken to a Utah County hospital.

Neither the teen nor her gerbil were hurt.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know about you guys, but I think this chick needs her license revoked, and needs to take remedial driving lessons for the next 10 years until she has a grasp of the fact that driving is a privilege and one that should be taken seriously. What the hell is going on in Utah??

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:30 AM

It totally wasn't her fault! Make the gerbil go to traffic school, he caused the accident.

Seriously though, yeah take the license back until she's old enough not to have a pet gerbil...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b
It totally wasn't her fault! Make the gerbil go to traffic school, he caused the accident.

Seriously though, yeah take the license back until she's old enough not to have a pet gerbil...
I think they should let "animal control" AKA Max come in and take care of that Gerbil.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
I think they should let "animal control" AKA Max come in and take care of that Gerbil.
Yeah, Instead of giving her a ticket...

You don't take him the car with you too do you? I'm thinking pets should stay at home. It drives me nuts when I see people driving with little dogs on their laps and shit. They should get a ticket just for being stupid.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 06:24 AM
Strength and Honor

I can't fathom why she didn't get a ticket, but there's got to be more to this than that. Cops are not very generous in accidents, especially if its a young teen driving.

As for dogs in the car, we take ours pretty often and he's always harnessed in the back seat. Gotta buckle ALL members of your family when you're out in the cage

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
You don't take him the car with you too do you?
I've only had him in a car once that he wasn't in an aquarium, and my girlfriend at the time was driving. He's an explorer so he was trying to get to the headrests, seatbelts, and anything else he could wrap around. And once he gets a hold, it's hard to unwrap him. I'd never have him out if I was driving and nobody else was there to babysit.

-Will Rogers
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
As for dogs in the car, we take ours pretty often and he's always harnessed in the back seat. Gotta buckle ALL members of your family when you're out in the cage
Lol, yeah I keep the harness on mine too. Nothing like 75 lbs drooling on your shoulder staring at you in the rear view.

Quote:
And once he gets a hold, it's hard to unwrap him.
Wow, you're brave. I wouldn't even be able to sleep knowing he was in the same room. Don't they get really big when they're full grown? I mean, I know he's your baby, but you're not even a little scared of him?

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Wow, you're brave. I wouldn't even be able to sleep knowing he was in the same room. Don't they get really big when they're full grown? I mean, I know he's your baby, but you're not even a little scared of him?

He'll grow to be about 12' long, but for now he's around 3.5'. For the most part, boas won't try to attack humans because they know we are too big for them to eat, and they're not as temperamental as some other snakes. He struck at me once and drew blood, but it was feeding time and he was in his predatory mode.

Pythons tend to be a little more feisty from my experience. And given the fact that the Reticulated Pythons can grow up to 30' long (they are the largest snakes in the world...bigger than anacondas) I wouldn't want to cross paths with one.

-Will Rogers
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
He'll grow to be about 12' long, but for now he's around 3.5'.
What are you going to do with him when he's full grown? He's going to be a monster. Yikes, and you said your roommate has a small dog...? Hope that works out well. Do snakes develop attachments to people like other animals? Just curious, they totally scare me...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
What are you going to do with him when he's full grown? He's going to be a monster. Yikes, and you said your roommate has a small dog...? Hope that works out well. Do snakes develop attachments to people like other animals? Just curious, they totally scare me...
I'll put him in a bigger cage

I've heard about snakes that will develop bonds with people/other animals. I read somewhere about a snake that actually "befriended" a mouse that was given to it for food. It wouldn't eat it (though it continued eating other ones) and so the owner just left it in there, and fed it and everything.

Also had a guy tell me that his son had a snake that he could set in the middle of a room full of people, and the snake would always come to him. Max seems to be less "on edge" around me sometimes, but for the most part his interests are in trying to get to hard to reach places.

As for my roomie's dog, I already told her that I was going to step up Max's feeding in order to get him big enough to eat the dog.

-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode