New computer question - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
New computer question

Ok, so I have a Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop that basically got fried thanks to a power surge. It's pretty much been written off as a loss, but I was curious about using it as a chassis and building a new PC. But this is something I have never done before. So keeping in mind that it's several years old, can I find new components that will fit and work properly? Or are motherboards pretty brand-specific as far as what they'll fit in? Can you get ones with PCI slots, even if the PC wasn't designed for that, etc? I know I'm sounding like an idiot, but as far as computers go, I'm kind of an "out of the box" type person.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
Ok, so I have a Dell Dimension 8300 Desktop that basically got fried thanks to a power surge. It's pretty much been written off as a loss, but I was curious about using it as a chassis and building a new PC. But this is something I have never done before. So keeping in mind that it's several years old, can I find new components that will fit and work properly? Or are motherboards pretty brand-specific as far as what they'll fit in? Can you get ones with PCI slots, even if the PC wasn't designed for that, etc? I know I'm sounding like an idiot, but as far as computers go, I'm kind of an "out of the box" type person.

The Chassis dimensions will be what determines what motherboard you can use. If it is big enough to accommodate a new motherboard, PCI slots, PCIE cards, etc... without any issues... then you are golden.

The last computer I built was using a case from a 75mhz computer. (No, that isn't a typo). The only reason I swapped cases later was because that case was so insanely ugly.

The power supply will most likely need to be changed out, though.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Yeah, I plan on getting a new MB, memory, video card(s), sound card and power supply. The HD was ok, and my Uncle installed Linux on there for me, which will be a new experience for me. Is there somewhere I can find out what the crucial dimensions are, and what MB's will fit? It's a rather sizeable box, so I don't think fit should be an issue. But then again, I'm more of a "user" than a "builder" when it comes to computers.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 06:20 AM

You guys know how to edit a .pdf? I need to change some shit but it won't let me...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by RydeAddict View Post
You guys know how to edit a .pdf? I need to change some shit but it won't let me...
Adobe acrobat I think. But from what I understand it's a pricey program. Maybe if you try that magical thing we know as google, you might be able to find a freeware or open-source program that can do it.

-Will Rogers
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
A PDf is more of an image than a text file. You can either get the full version of Adobe Acrobat ($$$) or try this: http://www.nitropdf.com/professional/trial.asp

I don't know if it works, but it has a free trial period so it's worth a shot. I have Acrobat Standard so I can convert PDF's back to Word, JPEG, HTML, etc., but only if they are not protected.

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeeney View Post
A PDf is more of an image than a text file. You can either get the full version of Adobe Acrobat ($$$) or try this: http://www.nitropdf.com/professional/trial.asp

I don't know if it works, but it has a free trial period so it's worth a shot. I have Acrobat Standard so I can convert PDF's back to Word, JPEG, HTML, etc., but only if they are not protected.
The file says it's protected under the properties. Does that mean I'm SOL?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
The file says it's protected under the properties. Does that mean I'm SOL?
With Adobe, yes. Try the Nitropdf though.

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
Yeah, I plan on getting a new MB, memory, video card(s), sound card and power supply. The HD was ok, and my Uncle installed Linux on there for me, which will be a new experience for me. Is there somewhere I can find out what the crucial dimensions are, and what MB's will fit? It's a rather sizeable box, so I don't think fit should be an issue. But then again, I'm more of a "user" than a "builder" when it comes to computers.
If it is a relatively large case, you shouldn't run into any issues at all.

You can try searching through newegg. They give "Compatible" motherboards as part of the specs for new cases. It will give you an idea of what you are looking at, even though it isn't bible.

Worst case scenario, you end up buying a new case. Depending on what you get, they typically range from $30-$150. Not that bad.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Having the case is my excuse to build a new computer.

-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode