How many people here have their own websites? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

How many people here have their own websites?

Another thread floating around here got me curious. How many people here have their own website? I'm not talking facebook/myspace/etc. I mean an actual website. Did you created your own site, or pay to have it done?

I have two different websites... one I am working on, and the other is a former project that I just use primarily for hosting pictures, mp3s, videos, and anything else I feel like hosting. I do all the legwork myself... which is why they usually look like crap. I didn't have any schooling or anything like that for web design. Everything that I know (Which isn't much) I figured out on my own. If I get hung on certain things, sometimes I ask for help here or there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 05:00 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
I've got one that I started in high school, and kind of tweaked for a couple years, but have barely touched it in quite a while. It never really had a purpose other than the fact that I thought it would be cool to have my own website. But that was way before Myspace/facebook made personal websites almost obsolete. I started by writing all the html myself, then I went to Frontpage around 2004. It's nothing special and I'm seriously considering letting it go.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

I've thought about letting mine go, too. The problem is I get 2gb worth of hosting for $25/year. It has come in way too handy, so I just keep renewing it. The second website came as a "$7/year for domain registration / Get an additional 1gb free" deal. That, in turn, came with a "Referring domain gets 1gb additional" deal... so all in all, I ended up with 4gb worth of hosting for $32/year. My problem is that I have WAY too many side projects going right now to find time for any new website design. Not to mention keeping up with myspace, since they allow you to use your own HTML as well. I just keep thinking that I will actually do something with them sometime soon.

Maybe not, though. Who knows.

Oh yeah... all 25 MP3s that are on my Mpspace page are hosted on one of those servers. As well as the background, smaller images, etc. Pretty much everything on that page, actually.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
I had one for my daughter that I accidentally let lapse when the DNS reneqal came around. It was pretty nice with pictures/videos of my daughter from birth to present. I did that since she has family members all over teh country and it was just easiest for them to check out the site to see her grow.

I have one for Pittsburgh based motorcyclists. Members are from all over, but it has a huge Pittsburgh member base.

Thinking about starting another one for my family so we can all keep in touch.

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
I have one for Graphic Design that I do on the side. www.throttlewerx.com

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I have one for Graphic Design that I do on the side. www.throttlewerx.com

I like that website. I've never worked with Javascript before. I have tried a few times, but I get discouraged by the command lines.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Strength and Honor

I have free access to web space but have only really used it to either store web pages I didn't want to see disappear (nor anyone else access) or for pictures for classified items/personal use.

Perhaps its my age, paranoia level, and experience with hiring, but you'll probably never see me with a social networking page unless it becomes a required part of the hiring process in nearly all of industry.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
I have free access to web space but have only really used it to either store web pages I didn't want to see disappear (nor anyone else access) or for pictures for classified items/personal use.

Perhaps its my age, paranoia level, and experience with hiring, but you'll probably never see me with a social networking page unless it becomes a required part of the hiring process in nearly all of industry.
I noticed your profile details are vague. I always assumed that reference to ID theft in your sig might have had something to do with it.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

A lot of people share that view. It is an age thing. It comes from days not that long ago (6-10 years) when there was no security protection on computers. Nothing was as safe as it is now.

Now you have to actually do something stupid to get into trouble with identity theft/credit card fraud. You know... clicking bad links, replying to those UK "Your uncle died and left you $4,000,000" emails, giving your user name and password to a paypal email that claims your account was closed, despite the fact that paypal has warnings all over it saying they will never ask for your password.

Some people either don't realize the security measures that have been stepped up, or they just don't trust them. I can't say I don't understand. I'm not one of them, though. I buy EVERYTHING online.

Here is one for you to add to the "Irony" category. About a month ago my father got a letter from the bank saying that his debit card was being shut down due to a breech in personal information (Someone had his card number). It wasn't from an internet purchase, though. It was from the local grocery store. My mother had the same issue with her credit card number... from another local store.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX6R1033 View Post
A lot of people share that view. It is an age thing. It comes from days not that long ago (6-10 years) when there was no security protection on computers. Nothing was as safe as it is now.

Now you have to actually do something stupid to get into trouble with identity theft/credit card fraud. You know... clicking bad links, replying to those UK "Your uncle died and left you $4,000,000" emails, giving your user name and password to a paypal email that claims your account was closed, despite the fact that paypal has warnings all over it saying they will never ask for your password.

Some people either don't realize the security measures that have been stepped up, or they just don't trust them. I can't say I don't understand. I'm not one of them, though. I buy EVERYTHING online.

Here is one for you to add to the "Irony" category. About a month ago my father got a letter from the bank saying that his debit card was being shut down due to a breech in personal information (Someone had his card number). It wasn't from an internet purchase, though. It was from the local grocery store. My mother had the same issue with her credit card number... from another local store.
You presume waaaay too much. I've been in Internet security since its infancy and am quite aware of what's possible and what's not.

Thanks to page caching, however, when you post pictures of yourself partying at Spring Break they'll be around forever for hiring managers to discover and there's no way for you to ever stop them from being discovered. And that's just the very tip of the iceberg.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode