Since there are so many aircraft geeks here... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Since there are so many aircraft geeks here...

Curiosity finally got me...

The SR-71 was listed as having a 'declassified' Maximum speed of Mach 3.2, and a Ceiling of 85,000'. Do we currently have any aircraft that surpasses either its ceiling or top speed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Depends on your definition of "aircraft"

The X-15 can do mach 6.72 and put you on the fringes of space @ about 328,000 feet.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

"In service" aircraft. Armed forces.

Jet powered.

the X-15 was rocket powered. Not that I would need to point that out to you.

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Lifetime Premium

Then no, we don't. The F-22 and F-15 have "service ceilings" of about 65K feet. Both are capable of more, but sustaining that altitude gets tough when their top speed is mach ~2.5. The SR-71 is only capable of the altitude because of its speed, and vice versa. Nothing else has ever been designed to fly at 80,000 feet and take pictures of a golf ball. The U-2 can fly at 70,000 feet, but it is more dependent on the surface area of its wings. And due to the density of the air at that altitude, it has to maintain its speed carefully, because it is balanced between stalling and breaking the sound barrier.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
Then no, we don't. The F-22 and F-15 have "service ceilings" of about 65K feet. Both are capable of more, but sustaining that altitude gets tough when their top speed is mach ~2.5. The SR-71 is only capable of the altitude because of its speed, and vice versa. Nothing else has ever been designed to fly at 80,000 feet and take pictures of a golf ball. The U-2 can fly at 70,000 feet, but it is more dependent on the surface area of its wings. And due to the density of the air at that altitude, it has to maintain its speed carefully, because it is balanced between stalling and breaking the sound barrier.
The F-35 might have the potential for the 80,000+ ceiling, but it's operational ceiling and climb rate are still classified.

There is also rumor (or myth) that has been going around for a while about "Aurora". Hard to say given the lack of information, though.

It seems to me that such a fast and high flying plane could be used for roles other than strictly recon.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

I doubt the F-35 will have a ceiling/speed much higher than the F-22 or F-15 simply because it is supposed to be so versatile. It'll likely have a Mach 1.8-2.0 speed, and a 60,000ft service ceiling.

The aurora is one of the planes that has been rumored about for years, supposedly using scramjets. I guess it is possible, and if so it would have speed/altitude numbers to rival the x-15. But I don't see it being a usefull part of the everyday military.

-Will Rogers
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I doubt the F-35 will have a ceiling/speed much higher than the F-22 or F-15 simply because it is supposed to be so versatile. It'll likely have a Mach 1.8-2.0 speed, and a 60,000ft service ceiling.

The aurora is one of the planes that has been rumored about for years, supposedly using scramjets. I guess it is possible, and if so it would have speed/altitude numbers to rival the x-15. But I don't see it being a usefull part of the everyday military.

The F-35 has a speed of Mach 1.6. At least, that is what the current reports say. Like you said, though... probably not much for a ceiling on it. Especially considering the F-35B is designed as a Short takeoff/Vertical landing aircraft.

If the Aurora exists, and is using scramjet engines, I would assume it would definitely be FAR superior to the SR-71.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Lifetime Premium

I'll wait for the shakedowns before I trust the numbers they're publishing. We're likely to see a little difference between the AF and USMC variants which could have a significant impact on speed/ceiling. Whose bright idea was it to use the same plane for everything? Vote them out.

-Will Rogers
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Whose bright idea was it to use the same plane for everything? Vote them out.

They've been trying that for years, too. You'd think they would have learned by now how unfeasible that goal really is.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Lifetime Premium

Case in point...the A-10. It can loiter around the battlefield for 45 minutes killing everything in sight, fly back missing half a wing, an engine, the better part of the horizontal stabilizer, etc...and the pilot still makes it to the bar in time to celebrate.

Send in an F-16, it burns half its fuel getting there, drops 1 (maybe 2) laser designated bombs, burns the rest of its fuel on egress and leaves the troops on the ground on their own. If I was a grunt, I'd pray to see an A-10 or Apache.

-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode