Cougars as pets - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Cougars as pets

New thread started so as not to venture too far off topic in the wrong section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
So how many cases have there been that cheetas flip out and maul their owners? You can't change nature, but you can suppress it.
I just went back and re-read your question. The answer is still none. You have to remember... we are not natural prey for cheetahs or cougars, so if/when wild ones attack, it is usually because they are threatened by our presence in one way or another. Cats that were raised around people will act differently around people. That is the nature of all creatures, so you aren't really suppressing anything. They have just had the chance to be around people, so they act different around them.

For that matter... wild cheetahs really won't attack, either. Case in point...

(Nevermind the stupid girl and her asinine comments. Just ignorance showing.)

Link- Video

Of course, they do have ways of getting even for you staring at them all the time.

Link - Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKninjaZX9 View Post
I worked on a guys house who had a pet cougar in a 8x8 pen. All it did was pace back and forth and look at me like I was a pork chop. Those pics are pretty cool ZX6...I had no idea they could be treated like house cats...
Welllllllll.... Not house cats, no. They are much smarter than house cats, and can be equally as much more mischievous. They also cannot simply be ignored like house cats. They quite literally HAVE to be the center of attention. But, anyone who has one... thats how they want it anyway.

If they are pacing back and fourth, you aren't dinner. Like every other cat, they crouch and flatten their ears before attacking, even in play. You know what is coming before it happens... provided you don't let your guard down. They like to play, so you'll probably get pounced on quite a bit. No big deal, though.

Provided you aren't bent over and have your concentration elsewhere like this... (Watch the cat in the middle.)

You might just want to right-click "save as" for these remaining videos. My server is pretty slow.

Video

You can see how big of a deal it is, though. I need to actually grab clips from the dvd so you can hear him laughing his ass off. It makes it a lot funnier.

(Sorry for the crap quality... I just used my phone camcorder to film a DVD I have. It was quick.)

Usually, when they pounce on you during play, it looks more like this...

Video

Or this...

Video

And one last video... same guy. Playing with his "natural born killing machines". (you know Im only picking tippy. )

Video

Quote:
Truth be told, I have no idea where to start looking, and the idea seems a little out of my reach right now.
You live in Ohio. Ironically... at a livestock auction is where you can find them. The cougar I posted all of the pics of in the other thread is owned by a guy I know from Ohio, and he bought his at one of those auctions. The idea is a bit out of reach to most, so don't feel bad. They require nearly 100% of your time, and you have to have a fairly decent disposable income, too. Cages tend to eat up a lot of money. Vet bills are also a consideration. Not to mention the fact that a cougar eats 3% of its body weight in meat every day. That means 200lb cougars will eat 6lbs of meat daily.

If you guys are really interested, I can do a better job with the videos. I can also answer pretty near any question you want to throw my way.

Just seems like there was a lot of interest... so I figured this deserved its own thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 02:29 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Hmm, that's funny my brother-in-law knows a lot of the goings-on regarding auctions around here (especially if it's cattle) but I might have him keep his ear to the ground.

So are they ok in a cage for an 8-hour work day?

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 04:57 AM

There was a highly publicized case in russia when I was little. A famous trainer lived with three large cats, and by large I mean much larger than a cougar (can't remember if they were tiger or what not, I was just a kid back then). Anyways, they lived for years around his family, played with his kids, and everything was great untill the guy dies of natural causes and the cats kill his entire family. Something about dominance.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 07:49 AM
Lifetime Premium

I was just thinking about the Tiger that attacked Roy of Seigfried and Roy during one of their shows. They pretty much raised all of their tigers and trained them, so I guess you can't assume that their nature is ever totally gone.

I know Tigers and Cougars are different animals with different tendancies, but it's one of those things that makes you wonder.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
So are they ok in a cage for an 8-hour work day?
When they are older, sure. When they are cubs, hell no. When they are little, they require 24 hour attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
There was a highly publicized case in russia when I was little. A famous trainer lived with three large cats, and by large I mean much larger than a cougar (can't remember if they were tiger or what not, I was just a kid back then). Anyways, they lived for years around his family, played with his kids, and everything was great untill the guy dies of natural causes and the cats kill his entire family. Something about dominance.
Those were Tigers. Tigers are VERY temperamental. I remember hearing that story not that long ago, actually. It wasn't a dominance thing, from what I was told. Cats will bond very strongly to whoever raised them. This guy raised them from cubs, and his family was never around them when he was not. His disappearance upset what they were used to.

Quote:
I was just thinking about the Tiger that attacked Roy of Seigfried and Roy during one of their shows. They pretty much raised all of their tigers and trained them, so I guess you can't assume that their nature is ever totally gone.

I know Tigers and Cougars are different animals with different tendancies, but it's one of those things that makes you wonder.

He was not attacked. He collapsed during a show, and one of the tigers pounced on him thinking he was playing. One of the tigers claws cut his side when the tiger landed. There was nothing more to it. The media and their ignorant scare tactics are the ones who started referring to it as an "Attack". That tiger weighed 430 lbs. If it had attacked it would have gone for his head (Tigers attack their prey by biting at the throat), and he would have been dead. You would think people would figure this out instead of listening to the media... the guy even went on TV and explained what had happened in great detail. The very next day after that incident, he was back in the cage with the tigers. Including that one that "Attacked" him.

And no... I already explained... you aren't changing their "Nature". Cats are cats. They always will be.

Tigers and cougars have very different personalities, though. Most people lump big cats in the same category as all other large cats. Cougars and Tigers are more than one family apart, though. Tigers are part of the Panthera family, which includes (from largest to smallest) Lions, Tigers, Jaguars, and Leopards. The Cougar is in the Puma family, which consists of only 2 cats... the Cougar and the Jaguarundi. The Jaguarundi is much smaller, at an average weight of 13 lbs.

The Cougar and Cheetah are the two most closely related, despite being classed as a different family. Both of these cats are in the Felidae family, though. This family consists of all smaller cats, including house cats. Cougars are the largest of these cats.

Here is another random interesting fact. Scientists believe that Cougars and Cheetahs are both decedents from the same cat... the North American Cheetah. The split occurred when part of the group migrated back to Africa.

In the wild, Cougars and Jaguars have completely different take-down techniques from any other cat. Nearly all other cats will bite at the neck of their prey and choke them.

Cougars bite the base of the neck in the back, severing the spine instantaneously.

Jaguars have much larger and stronger teeth, developed specifically so they can bite straight down through the skull of their prey and directly into the brain.

I have all kinds of small facts like that tucked away from countless hours of discovery/animal planet/etc.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

a couple more facts...

1) Cougars will not actively hunt people as a food source, such as african lions and leopards have done in the past. Cougars do not like salty foods, and humans are the only animal that has natural salt in their blood. Cougars will only kill humans in the wild if they feel threatened to the point where they no longer feel warning signs such as hissing and spitting will ward off the "attack".

While african lions are far more infamous for eating people (Such as the Tsavo Maneaters), in a comparison of one single cat vs another, it was a leopard who was responsible for far more deaths than any single lion. This one leopard killed over 400 men after being injured by a poacher. (They only turn to humans as food when they are no longer able to hunt their normal prey.)

In the wild, even Leopards are normally not a threat.

Check out this picture - Just an example of how close you can get to them in the wild.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:44 AM

My Favorite Leopard Video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UyJuZef9r9c

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxrider View Post

lol yeah, I saw that video a while ago. You'll get that kind of reaction from poking ANY cat in the head like that. Frankly, I am surprised the Leopard gave up that soon. Leopards are another VERY temperamental cat.

I would know.

post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Lifetime Premium

Not trying to stir the pot, but this page seems to somewhat contradict some of what you've said.

BTW, sorry for not carring enough about a tiger pouncing on a las vegas performer to actually research it. It just popped into my head.

-Will Rogers
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Lifetime Premium

Is that you in that pic?

-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode