Need a new laptop... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Need a new laptop...

So I was on vacation down in Florida for the past week, and while I was there, my laptop (Toshiba) took a giant dump and is DOA. So I'm looking for another one. I mainly use them for surfing the web/spreadsheet stuff, but now I am looking for one that can serve as my main computer for a few months to a year until I can find a suitable PC for my new place.

I do some gaming, especially FSX, LoMac, Battlefield, etc. so graphics and speed are concerns. I'd also like something with a Blueray drive.

So far, the Alienware Area-51 m9750 is about the most affordable one I've found that has relatively high-end performance (I'm looking for something that won't be completely obsolete before it gets delivered).

Anybody have something in particular that you'd recommend? I'd appreciate any input.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 03:38 AM
Strength and Honor

Yeah, at that high end you're looking at Alienware, Falcon Northwest, and maybe Dell. I've always been a FN fanboy and I have always hated Dell after they tried to screw me over for ~$10k. But I stopped following who's good and who isn't when Apple started making good products again and I realized I could build my own PCs. As a volunteer in charge of purchasing Toshiba has always been a stellar player in the laptop realm for reliability.

Good luck on the purchase.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
Yeah, at that high end you're looking at Alienware, Falcon Northwest, and maybe Dell. I've always been a FN fanboy and I have always hated Dell after they tried to screw me over for ~$10k. But I stopped following who's good and who isn't when Apple started making good products again and I realized I could build my own PCs. As a volunteer in charge of purchasing Toshiba has always been a stellar player in the laptop realm for reliability.

Good luck on the purchase.
Thanks for the input, kanwisch. Funny, I don't know that I've ever heard of Falcon Northwest. I've had a Dell desktop, and I use a Dell at work, but I didn't find any of their laptops that I was willing to pay for that would compare to the ones I could get from AW and Gateway.

As far as laptops go, I had a Compaq my first 2 years in college and it suffered from performance degradation after a few years, but it did stand up to quite a bit during its life. Then I got the Toshiba (Satellite P15-470 I think) and it did pretty good for a long time, but it didn't get used as frequently as the previous one. Then during vacation, I started it up one morning and it gave me the "SMART" warning that drive failure was imminent. I could tell it was on its last leg and even as I was doing the backup, its performance worsened severely. I wish I knew what actually caused it, because I've never had a problem with anything else I've gotten from Toshiba (2 TV's, a DVD player, a DVD/VHS player/recorder and an HD-DVD player).

I guess I'll check out FN and see how they stack up.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode