Why movies suck lately... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Why movies suck lately...

I'm starting a list of why movies suck lately. Add to it.

1) The hero always dies. It seems like every movie I have seen lately ends with the main character dying. This was a step away from the "Hero saves the day" plot. Can't script writers find some middle ground? Maybe mix it up a bit?

2) Ridiculously unrealistic. At what point did movies stray so far from reality-based worlds and events that we ended up with what we've been seeing lately?

3) the 3 hour movie marathons. Sure, 3 hours worth of movie is good... if the movie is good. Stretching a bad plot line and horrible acting out for another 1-1.5 hours doesn't make it good, though.

4) Sequels that use the same characters but different people. Unless it's James Bond, this practice is lame. For that matter, in my opinion, sequels that don't star the same characters is lame, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 03:45 AM

I dont have much of a problem with either dying heroes or unrealistic worlds in general, also niether one is guaranteed to make a movie good. Here are a few things that annoy me.

When the writers take 3/4 of the movie to set up some really intricate situation, with absolutely no plan on how to resolve it. Then, all of a suddent its like "Alright boys, wrap it up, we're out of time". I'm looking at you, departed!

Movies that treat me like an idiot with the whole "Get it? Get it?"

Movies that try to use a horribly unconvincing and over complicated plot to make themselves feel smart. Ala matrix 2. Or movies in which the plot makes no sense if you know the final twist. Any the main character is the killer movie.

Movies in which the odds are so far against the good guy, that halfway thru the movie the bad guy has to go from a evil genious to a drooling retard just so he could loose.

Badly made political statements, that try to shield themselves from criticizm by hiding behing the super fake reality feel. Syriana.

One theory goes that the reason for movie suckage is the cost of producing one, especially given the cost of special effects. With so much money invested in the movie, no one can afford to take a chance, and they have to make a movie that everyone is guaranteed to sorta like.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
I'm looking at you, departed!

That movie also contains the infamous "hey, we added these twists in the last 5 minutes of filming, but we will show you flashbacks so it looks like this was the plan all along" thing going for it, too. That movie rubbed me the wrong way in so many ways.

Quote:
Movies that treat me like an idiot with the whole "Get it? Get it?"
I forgot about those! The ones that kill nearly 45 minutes alone in flashbacks every time the movie takes a twist. The irony of that is... they do it to keep slow people on track with what is happening, but it never works. I can't watch movies with people like that, anyway. My mother, for example. I tried to watch 'Blood Diamond' with her. We got about an hour into the movie when she looked at me... completely straight face... and said "What country is this supposed to be?"

Quote:

One theory goes that the reason for movie suckage is the cost of producing one, especially given the cost of special effects. With so much money invested in the movie, no one can afford to take a chance, and they have to make a movie that everyone is guaranteed to sorta like.
Or they try different filming techniques. Example: 300. Shot nearly 100% Green Screen. The cost of animators is much lower than film permits, locations, and the such. Sin City went the same route... although IMO that movie sucked ass.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 04:30 AM

I rather liked sin city, also that approach can get old pretty quick. Come to think of it, I like almost every movie that involves multiple stories that come together but involves pretty sudden interrupts. Pulp fiction and run lola run come to mind.
300, was not one I cared for too much. Its not that it was bad, its that it really didnt live up to all the buildup.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
300, was not one I cared for too much. Its not that it was bad, its that it really didnt live up to all the buildup.

And you see, I hadn't heard a word about it until it came out in Theaters. I hadn't heard anything past the fact that it existed until it hit rental stores. That's when I watched it, and I absolutely loved it. I guess I had the advantage on that one. I don't do anything that exposes me to movie hype. I watch trailers from time to time, but other than that, I don't know much about the movies until I rent them. I pay $25/month for unlimited rentals, so if I have a run of bad movies, it isn't a big deal.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 07:37 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX6R1033 View Post
I don't do anything that exposes me to movie hype.
I'm exactly the opposite. I see all the hype and trailers and almost never get to see the movies (while they're in theaters, anyway). Tippy can look forward to that when he has kids too.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 04:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX6R1033 View Post
That movie also contains the infamous "hey, we added these twists in the last 5 minutes of filming, but we will show you flashbacks so it looks like this was the plan all along" thing going for it, too. That movie rubbed me the wrong way in so many ways.

I also disliked The Departed. It was extremely long and boring. I can't see why it's so popular.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 04:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
I'm exactly the opposite. I see all the hype and trailers and almost never get to see the movies (while they're in theaters, anyway). Tippy can look forward to that when he has kids too.
Couldn't resist that chance to dig the knife in could you?

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippmann View Post
Couldn't resist that chance to dig the knife in could you?
I'm always here for ya, man

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode