Sci Fi? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Sci Fi?

So I rented "sunshine" yesterday, and I gotta say its one of the best sci fi flics I've seen to date. It doesnt feel dumbed down like most stories of that ganre that get made into a movie, and it doesnt rely on evil aliens, or benevolent aliens for a conflict. For the most part the dangers of the hostile space enviroment are enough to keep the story going. The special effects are a touch cheap, but not too bad. The directing has that sterile, quiet feel of 2001 or solaris, except unlike the latter, its actually good.

Here is a trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ2-xR54UDU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrWuwVfqRYc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 08:02 AM

I saw the trailer for this. My only problem with it is the whole "Sun is dying - Earth is frozen" routine. If the sun is dying, it becomes a supernova and engulfs the earth. Where do their ideas come from?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

They never go in to it, not even a little bit. Just say that what the problem is, and the only way to fix it is to deliever this thingie to it, end of story. In fact, it is very much bright throu out the movie, burning several things to a crisp.

However, I can take a stab at explaining that one. The sun doesnt have to be dying per se, rather, no emit enough energy to heat up our planet. The sun itself is a relativly cool 6,000k, while the corona is close to a million degrees. So it would stand to reason that most of the light and radiation we receive from the sun actually comes from the corona. The corona is heated up by sounds, pressure and magnetic waves coming from the sun's core. When those waves reach the surface they release their energy in the form of light.
The sun itself orbits around the galactic core, traveling thru interstellas space at 200km/s. If it was to travel thru a region in which something were to dampen those waves only slightly, the corona would cool, releasing less energy to the earth. It wouldnt require a gread deal of cooling to seriously screw up life on earth.

Perhaps someone that knows their physics better can come up with something even more believable.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 01:43 PM

I'd watch it just because I'm a major sci fi fanatic, but the plot still seems ... unresearched.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX6R1033 View Post
I saw the trailer for this. My only problem with it is the whole "Sun is dying - Earth is frozen" routine. If the sun is dying, it becomes a supernova and engulfs the earth. Where do their ideas come from?

I thought the current train of thought was sol is expected to merley enlarge and exfolate and cool off and die.
Isn't our sun too small to go nova?

Redline Superbike Member

AKA Duneripper :)
Ladies Love Cool D.

"I would have been your daddy, But that dog beat me over the fence."
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The Sun appears to have been active for 4.6 billion years and has enough fuel to go on for another five billion years or so. At the end of its life, the Sun will start to fuse helium into heavier elements and begin to swell up, ultimately growing so large that it will swallow the Earth. After a billion years as a red giant, it will suddenly collapse into a white dwarf -- the final end product of a star like ours. It may take a trillion years to cool off completely.
Picked a bad a point of contention with the movie, at least that one is explainable thru the whole corona effect thing. If you want something more unrealistic, how about floating into an airlock at zero g, and gravity resuming as soon as air fills it up?

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 05:39 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Picked a bad a point of contention with the movie, at least that one is explainable thru the whole corona effect thing. If you want something more unrealistic, how about floating into an airlock at zero g, and gravity resuming as soon as air fills it up?
What, you mean that's not what air pressure means?

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
If it was to travel thru a region in which something were to dampen those waves only slightly, the corona would cool, releasing less energy to the earth.
Or a high speed jet of x rays or gamma rays from the likes of a quasar like 3C273.

Redline Superbike Member

AKA Duneripper :)
Ladies Love Cool D.

"I would have been your daddy, But that dog beat me over the fence."
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

That was very focused so as to avoid killing us all. But yeah, something like that.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 01:34 PM

lol I can pick any sci fi movie apart while watching it. What I mentioned was merely what I gathered from watching the trailer. Given the fact that it is the basis for the movie, I wouldn't expect much else in the movie to be accurate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode