Fisker Karma hybrid

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...html?series=47

Pretty sweet looking

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 04:17 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Kinda neat. I like the angular exhaust, and the LED taillights (though at first, the reflection made it look like there was a small part of the strand out of place).

What's up with the roof though?

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 04:42 AM
Lifetime Premium

I see... Will be interesting to see how cost-effective those panels are.

On another note, am I the only one who finds the dash repulsive?

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

The comments in the second link hit on that note too. Personally, I dont find it that bad, but I'm not in love with it either. It reminds me of star trek, "warp speed, number one" sorta shit. As for the solar panels, if they are like other cars I've seen with that concept they probably help keep the car cool while parked, and maybe do a tiny bit to recharge the batteries. They are unlikely to do much good, but hey, its nice to step into a car and not burn yourself on the seat on a summer day.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 04:52 AM
Lifetime Premium

Yeah, but I think that my $75 window tint does just as good of a job as anything. Not that I'm knocking it, it just seems that for as long as solar power has been around, you'd think they could have made it a little bit more efficient. But I guess the same would have to be said for gas, coal, etc. And I don't want to get started on that for fear that the keyboard ninja might be watching this thread.

-Will Rogers
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

There are some on-off prototype of solar panels that his some impressive efficiencies, at least in comparison to what is available now, but they are a ways from mass production. Even if they were mass produced, we are still talking about at most quadrupling the output of current models, which is not nearly enough to run the car. To the window tint comment, its the difference between tinting the car, and leaving the AC running while the car is parked.

This car carries a $80k price tag, which is enough to keep it out of the hands of most, and more dissapointingly, wont be available till 2011. Still its nice to see a hybrid one would actually want to be seen in.

With ferrari releasing a e85 version of one of its cars, it safe to say the momentum in alternative fuel/hybrid car manufacturing is building.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 05:11 AM
Lifetime Premium

No doubt the current trend is leaning toward hybrid/alternative power. And concepts such as this, the chevy volt, etc., they will draw more of a crowd than the prius and others currently on the road.

The second link you posted said that they will be in heavy production by the end of 2009, not 2011.

I bet if I showed my dad the picture with 2 golf bags in the trunk he'd seriously consider it.

-Will Rogers
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 05:13 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
To the window tint comment, its the difference between tinting the car, and leaving the AC running while the car is parked.
So the engine is running as well? I see some overheating issues.

-Will Rogers
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

I'm doing some guesswork here, so dont quote me on it. I think the models either have a small electric ac system, or the main system is electric instead of mechanically driven, and can operate on some low energy mode.

2009 would certainly be more impressive. Now if only the price tag was closer to $30k... Wonder how much the price tag would drop if they could ramp up production to some real numbers instead of the whole 15k cars a year.

There is no telling where the current trend is going, except that its going. Both hybrid and e85 technologies are a gamble, hydrogen even more so. Seems to me the idea is to jump start the technologies with subsidies and clever marketing so that manufacturing problems can be solved, and hope that someone comes up with the breakthrus necessary to make them competetive. Hybrids need better batteries (or capacitors), and if those can be developed, maybe we can do away with the gasoline engine all together. In the meantime we can get some knowledge about how to make semi electric cars in mass, and what happens to them when they crash.
For E85 to be really usefull, it needs to be run exclusivly instead of the flex fuel method. In exclusive mode, the compression ratio can be jacked way up, delievering descent power out of the engine. But that requires an infustructure to fuel the cars, so flex fuel provides incentive to build an infastructure.

Some guy (zurbin i think) had the idea that US should pass a mandate, requiring every car sold in the states be flex fuel compatable. The price increase to the car will be very modest (he says $100 a vehicle, but lets say $1000) and US being the worlds biggest car market will quickly put a ton of flex fuel vehicles out there. With that big of a market infastructure would form quickly, and even if flex fuel mode, it would isolate the consumer from price spikes (What? A hurricane in the blah blah and gas is expensive? Guess I'm filling up with e85 this week), not to mention allow manufacturers to go to all e85 vehicles.

Either way, I like the idea of gambling on multiple technologies, instead of putting all our eggs in one basket

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode