Networking Advice needed from the tech junkies - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Networking Advice needed from the tech junkies

Very straight forward question...

I am looking for a wireless hub capable of retaining excellent signal strength at distances of about 300' including through walls. We are on Cable here. I would have one computer (My desktop) physically connected, and up to two laptops on at any given time. The hub I currently use doesn't have enough signal strength to allow me to remain connected when I take it into the garage on the other end of the house.

Need some opinions on what I should be looking at. I use my laptop for everything when it is sitting on my desk, but I need a fast enough speed to be able to stream movies from my desktop on the other end of the house from the theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 11:53 AM

Rather than replacing your hub, why don't you just add a high gain antenna?

http://shop4.outpost.com/category/Ou...terAreaString=
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

I didn't realize such a thing existed. I'll have to read more into it. Thanks!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 08:20 PM

You could use one or more wireless access points wired to your hub with some cat5; those you can put just about anywhere and you'll retain speed and increase coverage. You can also use a repeater if amplified or higher gain antennae won't work out but it might limit your throughput.

Varying designs of antennae emit the signal in different shapes; some emit it in a wide donut shape, others are spherical, and some are very directional.. think 'cantenna'. Almost anything out there should work for you but its something to keep in mind. Whatever the case, make sure the wireless clients have enough power to transmit back to the hub, which makes the repeater/access point a better option.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

If I could get an additional 20' out of my hub, it would have the range needed.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 06:57 AM

Oh, well the antenna should work great then. I've been through wireless installations in buildings made with walls that have alternating layers of concrete, brick and steel that probably couldn't be penetrated with a 500 megawatt wireless signal. Or some sort of nuclear warhead for that matter... I'd wager your house isn't built that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode