Rape victim sentenced to 6 months and flogging for adultery - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Rape victim sentenced to 6 months and flogging for adultery

Quote:
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) -- A Saudi court will review the case of a teenage gang rape victim sentenced to jail and flogging after she was convicted of violating the country's strict sex segregation laws, the foreign minister said Tuesday.

Known only as the "Girl from Qatif," the victim said she was a newlywed who was meeting a high school friend in his car to retrieve a picture of herself from him when the attack occurred in the eastern city of Qatif in 2006.

While she was in the car, two men got into the vehicle and drove them to a secluded area where others waited, and then she was raped.

The ministry's account Saturday alleged that the woman and her lover met in his car for a tryst "in a dark place where they stayed for a while."

The girl was initially sentenced to prison and 90 lashes for being alone with a man not related to her. An appeals court then doubled the lashes to 200.

The increase in sentence received heavy coverage in the international media and prompted expressions of astonishment from the U.S. government. Canada called it "barbaric."

Under Saudi Arabia's strict interpretation of Islamic Sharia law, women are not allowed in public in the company of men other than their male relatives. Also, women in Saudi Arabia are often sentenced to flogging and even death for adultery and other crimes.

The seven men convicted of gang raping the woman were given prison sentences of two to nine years.

The case has sparked rare domestic debate about the Saudi legal system, which gives judges wide discretion in sentencing and where rules of evidence are shaky and sometimes no lawyers are present.

Justice in Saudi Arabia is administered by a system of religious courts and judges appointed by the king on the recommendation of the Supreme Judicial Council. Those courts and judges have complete discretion to set sentences, except in cases where Sharia outlines a punishment, such as capital crimes.

That means that no two judges would likely hand down the same sentence for similar crimes. A rapist, for instance, could receive anywhere from a light or no sentence to death, depending on the judge's discretion.
Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 05:01 AM

Astonished? Please, its not like this is new. Hell, they even sent the guys to jail this time. I figured they were all muttawa, the religious police.

This is the same country in which a small, underfunded school for girls catches fire, and the muttawa arrives to keep the girls from getting out uncovered, while also preventing the male firefighting crew from entering. The place is fucked up

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

I hadn't heard about that one. I don't mean to sound like I am bashing on anyone elses beliefs, but what the fuck is wrong with these people?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ZX6R1033
I hadn't heard about that one. I don't mean to sound like I am bashing on anyone elses beliefs, but what the fuck is wrong with these people?
They are in their dark ages. All the civilized societies had to go thru it to, and it looked much the same. Well, except there were no AK's in medieval europe.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 02:34 PM

I have no other way to describe how I feel after reading that...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 02:58 PM

when i was stationed in riyadh during desert storm/shield we where warned about talking to the females and how they would do public executions. they are a screwed up sociaty and this story does not suprise me after seeing how there culture is.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 05:03 PM

Yes they are in the Dark Ages due to their religious beliefs. To think it is the female that is getting the jail time & the flogging.

Now up to shortly after WWII if a MALE was cought in a rape situation here in Cdn., often it was so many months in jail & so many strokes every so many months.

No, not something I read for one of our h/gunners back in the 50s was the person that flogged them so many strokes as so demanded.

No not the cat of nine tales, but a single sort of whip & this one time he actually broke the skin & that was the end of his job right then & there.

Such floggings were scratched some time in the later 50s here in Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode