911 call - Man shoots and kills two burglars - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

911 call - Man shoots and kills two burglars

Wow, this is pretty intense. Link

Thoughts?

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 10:17 PM

Personally, I wouldn't have gone outside after anyone like that if none of my neighbors were home. I'd just grab my cell phone and camcorder and been the best witness I possibly could be.

If my neighbors were home, however, there is a 90% chance I would be over there with a firearm before they even got through the window.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 10:41 PM

He made a terrible error & is going to suffer for his wrong doings & I am sorry to him.

He was told to not do anything & he was so hyped up that he was telling the 911 people he was going to shoot.

Thing is he did NOT know the neighbors & who knows, for it could be a crack house.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 03:46 AM
Strength and Honor

I am quite tight with my neighbors and know who should and shouldn't be in the neighborhood. If I were to take it to the level this guy did, I'd at least be aiming at their legs so they couldn't escape. I'm a believer in a "community" that is more familial and could see myself taking some kind of action. Not sure it would be use of a firearm though.

The downside of not finishing off potential thieves is that they can come back and sue you or make up some story. If they're dead, there's only one story.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 11:07 AM

Agree with you kanwisch for there are pros & cons in a possible situation in your case.

If I was an American & in your boots, then if there was a cage waiting to pick them up the most I might do is shoot at the tyres as the replaced tyres cannot come back & sue you.

Though if fact if you have made contact by 911 then I would probably feed them info & again if a car then make, model, colour & possibly LP of the car for possibly the police might nail them.

Mind you in many cases the 911 call proves to be usless as in some cases, here in Cdn., the 911 call was never forwarded to the Police or in some cases the Police were busy on another matter & it might be 4 hrs later before they are aroung. YES this is becomming common here in Cdn.

With screw-ups like we are getting here in Cdn., it is a bummer that one cannot use a f/arm let alone a h/gun for self, family or home defense even if said criminals are going to hit one's personal home or family.

Like the other night, at the gun range, I commented with our training I would have no trouble in putting at least one round in the bull of each target within a minute.

So the challenge was on, six targets up 25 yds down the range, of the six isles, tables were pulled back & I knew I had posts I had to duck around as well.

Now I use to do a lot of PPC shooting using a full house PPC revolver & it could be used plus I could use the posts for support, but felt the powder burns would darken the white posts so loaded my Browning action 45ACP up with eight trounds (just in case) & one up the spout.

The call was given & with my the semi-auto down by my side & I was off trotting, well trotting for one with a screwed up left hip, two shot knees, & trick ankle, to finish. Seemingly I finished the 6th before my time was out.

Then was did I hit the bulls on all six with only one shot to each?. To the amazement of all, including myself, I had dinged all & none just barely cutting into the 3.75" bull---all good "in the bull shots". Said to the others I would not try that again for I felt some was due to luck, but it does show some (especially IPSC competitors) can shoot this or far better & I am not referring to the pros that represent h/gun or electronic sight firms, but the average competitor.

So could I put holes in the tyres of a cage out front? Probably not.

Last edited by Smitty; 11-24-2007 at 04:44 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 01:34 PM

That guy was a touch trigger happy, and that tape is not going to play well for him if it gets to court.
Hell, one could even argue that was premeditated murder, seing how he warned the dispatcher (not that I would agree, but I can see the legal argument).

I'm not against the use of deadly force, but I think he should've preceeded it with a warning shot and a loud command.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
I keep a handful of rubber bullets handy for my shotguns, but if that doesn't slow them down the .00B will.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
The Texas Penal Code says a person can use force or deadly force to defend someone else's property if he reasonably believes he has a legal duty to do so or the property owner had requested his protection.
Didnt know that... might apply here

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
I doubt the "legal duty" part of that would hold up. But, you never know. Sounds like the guy was a little trigger happy, but then again, with all the atrocities in this world I wouldn't really blame someone for snapping when it happens next door.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Didnt know that... might apply here

Not likely that any laws from a state with a strong "Community" backbone such as Texas would apply in a state like CA. Especially since you are talking about an offense involving a firearm in one of the two states in this country that just simply want to go door to door collecting them from every citizen. It is sure to play out badly for that guy.

Sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode