Quick question for those in Europe - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Quick question for those in Europe

Okay, this may sound like a completely stupid question, but I am going to ask anyway.

When you are leaving a left hand drive country, and entering a right hand drive country... How do you change lanes / How do the roads change to accommodate? I realize there may or may not be customs check points or what not, but I am too tired, and I still cannot picture how it would be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 05:12 AM
Strength and Honor

I'm thinking that the only time you might see that is from India (not in Europe) to a neighboring country. England is water-locked so that's a non-issue. All the Scandanavians and I thought all the central Europeans were right-handed but it has been a somewhat long while since I traveled the continent. A quick view of Wikipedia proves me correct about Europe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:C...t_or_right.svg

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 01:11 PM

As Kanwisch has stated, all of mainland Europe, including Scandinavia, is LHD (same as you guys). Great Britain and the Republic of Ireland are all RHD but, as you have to either get a ferry or car train to get here, there is no having to swap lanes at the border etc. Most of Europe is now part of the European Union (EU), which is kind of like the USA but with lots of countries instead of states and different languages in each one. This means that there are no border crossings/guards/machine guns/big dogs etc. now between any of the member nations. The EU has been very good at standardising most road signs and markings, even the driving licences across the EU have been standardised. The only difference being the individual countries have them printed in their relevant language.

So, if you're thinking of a trip to Europe you only get your passport stamped at point of entry into the EU, not each individual country as used to be the case.

Hope my rambling helped answer your question.

Phil

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 07:11 AM

Haha! That is a good question, but those answers are correct. However, here is the answer to your question:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving..._left_or_right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode