F1-11 "Dump and Burn" - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Talking F-111 "Dump and Burn"

This video is from Saturday night. We have this huge fireworks show every year in Brisbane (an hour from my place). It goes for half an hour and is set to music that's played over one of the local radio stations. The whole show is broadcast on TV, too, which is where this clip comes from.

They have fireworks shooting from barges in the river, from the tops of buildings and all over one of the main bridges.

The whole thing kicks off and ends with a fly over and "dump and burn" by two F-111 jet fighters from a nearby Airforce base.

The video just doesn't do it justice. These things come in about 400' above the city, fly down the river and then climb for the stars.

One of the amazing things is that they fly over my town on their way. What takes us an hour to traverse, only takes them 40 seconds!!

"Let's kick the tyres and light the fires!"

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.

Last edited by cookeetree; 09-02-2007 at 06:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 04:49 PM

It is probably something great to see, but I am not keen on fireworks. Not something that frightened me as a child, but back in '64 & even to this time in life, I noted how some of the fireworks were very loud & hard on my ears (I feel sure that it is the same to others of basically all ages)----so when there is one going on in this area I might only watch them, from my home, with a good set of muffs I would use at the gun range. Though in most cases I choose to ignore the waste of money on fireworks.

Still back to '64 I knew this family well & with the little girl of around 4 or 5 yrs of age they were at a good position to watch it like hundreds of others, though unfortunately a hot one landed in her gum boot & the pretty little girl has never been able to walk properly since---crippled for life.

The Corporation of Summerland THEN realized fireworks would have to be farther away from the public, & even to close for some yrs later & still have it back if from the present position. Like it has been moved at least 5-6 times farther back then in '64. Though in a while they will have to realize it should be farther away from the spectators.

Besides the places that have these on, & that is more then once a year, are wasting money on fireworks which tells you they are wasting away money that could be used in a more sensible manner that could compensate the town or city of their place for some yrs times like making good trails, preserve lagoons to swamp areas & such.

Last edited by Smitty; 09-03-2007 at 10:21 AM.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, they are loud. People anywhere near the area have to make sure their dogs are locked-up well or they'll do a runner when the booming starts.

The fireworks show is part of a huge river festival we have every year. Sure, it costs a lot, but the money that it brings in to local businesses is phenomenal. People start arriving from early in the morning, just to have a good view of it all. It stretches over a couple of kilometres of the river. There's also other aerial shows on during the day, including the Roulettes and military helicopter displays.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 05:41 PM

I love fireworks! I can't get enough of them. I was a pyrotechnician for several years. Shooting professional pyrotechnics is on par with track time for adrenaline!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevlar7R
I love fireworks! I can't get enough of them. I was a pyrotechnician for several years. Shooting professional pyrotechnics is on par with track time for adrenaline!
They do look awesome, hey? This show is always amazing. As I said, it goes for 1/2 an hour and is set to music.

Here's a cool time-lapse pic I found of the D&B.

An another note, but still the same topic, we rode my bike into the city to watch the show. Much easier to find a spot to park, but we still had a hard time as cops were EVERYWHERE, stopping people from parking anywhere close to the river. We kept stopping and asking the cops if they could help us out, but to no avail.

Eventually, though, we found a m/c cop who let us park on the footpath right near his bike. He was there the whole time, so I effectively had a police guard on my bike! How cool is that?!

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 07:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
Very cool, cookee!!!

Pittsburgh, PA is a city full of fireworks junkies... but I must say that our Independence Day celebration is truly shamed by that display!!!

As for taking the bikes... I learned several years ago that bikes are the only way to go. Here, they shut down the roads going up to the best viewing spot hours before dark, so the only way to get up to the best view is to take the bikes up the sidewalks.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 07:55 AM

Wow Cookee, that looks amazing! Whenever there is and airshow here in Toronto, there are always jets and other military aircraft flying low over my house ( I seem to be en route from a military airfield to pearson airport) Its totally amazing the speed and agility of these fighter aircraft!
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Oh, how I love seeing the flying Zippo. I think the B-58 "Hustler" was one of the first aircraft where the pilots realized that using fuel dump & afterburner at the same time made for one heck of a show. I remember my grandpa telling me about the first time he saw it done, and the ground crew went nuts thinking the aircraft had burst into flames.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
It is probably something great to see, but I am not keen on fireworks. Not something that frightened me as a child, but back in '64 & even to this time in life, I noted how some of the fireworks were very loud & hard on my ears (I feel sure that it is the same to others of basically all ages)----so when there is one going on in this area I might only watch them, from my home, with a good set of muffs I would use at the gun range. Though in most cases I choose to ignore the waste of money on fireworks.

Still back to '64 I knew this family well & with the little girl of around 4 or 5 yrs of age they were at a good position to watch it like hundreds of others, though unfortunately a hot one landed in her gum boot & the pretty little girl has never been able to walk properly since---crippled for life.

The Corporation of Summerland THEN realized fireworks would have to be farther away from the public, & even to close for some yrs later & still have it back if from the present position. Like it has been moved at least 5-6 times farther back then in '64. Though in a while they will have to realize it should be farther away from the spectators.

Besides the places that have these on, & that is more then once a year, are wasting money on fireworks which tells you they are wasting away money that could be used in a more sensible manner that could compensate the town or city of their place for some yrs times like making good trails, preserve lagoons to swamp areas & such.

BAH Humbug, Smitty!!

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 10:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
wonder how much fuel that wasted

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode