Any Ride-on Lawn Mower Experts??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Any Ride-on Lawn Mower Experts???

It's getting to that time of year when the grass starts growing again, especially after the 3" of rain we had last week. We've got 3 acres, but only about 2 acres needs to be mowed. The vast majority of the block is sloped - some steep(ish).

We've currently got an old ride-on (11hp / 32") that was bought to "prepare" the block, before we'd upgrade to a bigger, better, faster one. Anyway, the time to upgrade has come.

We're trying to keep our business local, which essentially gives a choice of about four brands - Toro, John Deere, Husqvarna and Cox (Aussie brand). We've narrowed our search down to three mowers from two manufacturers:
  • JD 20hp / 42" - AUD$4000
  • JD 22hp / 48" - AUD$4700
  • Husky 20hp / 42" - AUD$4400

I've been doing some research and I've found that the two 20hp mowers are pretty much the same, but for engines; The Husky has a Kohler engine, while the JD has a Briggs & Straton. They do just about everything the same.

However, the 20hp Husky has the same tranny as the 22hp JD (Tuff Torq K46), while the 20hp JD has a Tuff Torq T40J. I can't find ANY info on the T40J, even from TT's website.

So, is there anything that would make one stand out from the other? Is the Husky $400 better? Is the K46 tranny $400 better???

Now, when it comes to separating the two JD's, the 22hp has these "advantages" over the 20hp:
  • 2hp
  • Bigger wheels (22" over 20")
  • High-back seat
  • 6" wider deck
  • Electric PTO

When you look at that list, does it make you want to spend $700 more? For almost every advantage, I see a disadvantage. Electric PTO? That's a $300 part that is going to need replacing in 5 years, or so. Bigger wheels? Cost more to replace. Wider deck? More blades to replace.

So, help me out, guys (or gals). Give me any advice you've got on the subject. Just don't throw other brands into the mix. It's gonna be one of these two. We've been warned away from Toro and Cox just doesn't have enough features for the money they ask.

Thanks in advance,

Jason (cookeetree)

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 04:15 AM
Strength and Honor

I'll give you my on engines, which is pretty much how I look at a mower to start the narrowing. We have a Sabre, which was a low-end line for JD some time ago, and it has a Briggs & Stratton. The real JDs had Kawi engines, IIRC, at the time.

This mower, just one month out of warranty, started flooding the crankcase with gas. Turns out the carb wasn't stopping the flow when the engine was shut off. I rebuilt the carb, changing out every single item excluding the aluminum casing itself, and still had the problem. Now I have this f'n manual valve in the fuel line to prevent the problem.

My father-in-law has a B&S engine in his weed whacker and has exactly the same problem. My future will not include any B&S engines, EVAR. The added cost for a quality grade engine simply can't be overstated, IMHO.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 06:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to 97yzfinwyo Send a message via Yahoo to 97yzfinwyo
STAY AWAY FROM BRIGGS

I had a commercial lawn business a while ago and all I can say is stay away from the briggs. if possible find something with a kawasaki motor. we ran the shit out of these things and they just wouldnt die.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Huh, I've never heard such bad reviews of the B&S engines. Had always seen them as a good all-around engine.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 01:01 PM

since theres no Kubota go Husky
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 01:02 PM

or just have your missus pull a push mower behind her 250 while you throw back some Fosters
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ARKninjaZX9
or just have your missus pull a push mower behind her 250 while you throw back some Fosters
Hey, now there's some lateral thinking!

One salesman suggested we buy a Zero-turn mower (you know, two levers for steering, turn like a Bobcat), but I told him they're no good as you can't hold a beer while you're mowing.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Well, we settled on a mower yesterday arvo. Didn't get any of the ones we were looking at; the JD's were discarded due to the Brigg's engine and the Husky was too expensive for what you got.

In the end, we did get a Husky, but got a bigger one that was ex-demo. It's got six hours on the clock and was offered to us for AUD$600 below retail @ AUD$4900.

It's a 25hp Kohler with 48" cut. Biiiiiiig wheels that bolt onto hubs, instead of sitting on the shaft and all the goodies you could ask for and more. Being so big, it'll roar over our lawn without blinking. I really didn't want to get something that would struggle at all.

It gets delivered this arvo, so my lawn should look beautiful by the time night falls!

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 03:58 AM
Strength and Honor

Please let us know how the engine works out for you after say, a year. Yami and Kawi engines are pricey so some other option would be nice.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 06:49 AM

wooooohooooooo ! now get back to important things and lube the chain on the ZZR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode