What is the story on the bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

What is the story on the bike?

Yes Cookee that is aimed at you for suddenly you are out of the picture, when in reality, you have so much "go" in you. I hope to gosh this damaged motor does not cut you off completly.

You said you would not give up on the ZX9 so we are wondering for not a murmer for the last few days, though to be honest I to would have had the wind taken out of my sails & been pondering what best to do & financially this becomes a major factor as the 'used' bike was only purchased a few weeks ago with great anticipations.

Last edited by Smitty; 06-14-2007 at 10:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 10:24 AM

Re: What is the story on the bike?

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Yes Cookee that is aimed at you for suddenly you are out of the picture, when in reality, you have so much "go" in you. I hope to gosh this damaged motor does not cut you off completly.
Hehe, as soon as I saw that thread title, I though it was aimed at me. I can assure you, it'll take more than a blown motor to keep me from riding.

Not sure if you've kept-up with the other thread, but the old motor is toast. Appears to have suffered from an oil starvation problem they had to the #3 rod. Won't know exactly until the engine gets pulled from the bike. The piece of crankcase I found, though, confirms that it's 100% SNAFU.

I spent a couple of days calling wrecking yards and have found an imported 'D' engine with 16k km's (9.9k mi) on it for AUD$2k (US$1680). They're going to do the swap for me for another AUD$400 (US$336). Apparently they go through sh*tloads of 'em over here as they're popular for racing sidecars and buggies etc, so I was lucky to track such a good one down.

Not sure yet if I'm going to worry about pulling the cams from my engine. They may be f*cked for all I know. We'll see. One thing's for sure, though, I'll be keeping my oil HIGH from now on!

Anyway, bike goes into the shop late next week and should be back on the road the week after that. In the meantime, I'm cruising in my cage. I don't want to ride the 250 as I'm worried I'll flog it too much trying to get it to go as fast as the 1100.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 10:42 AM

Great!

Yeah, I've been thinking a lot about your situation too Cookee, and have been wondering about how it was going to turn out. Good on ya for keeping your chin up through this. That would've really bummed me out.

Wow, so it was the infamous #3 rod failure after all eh? As you said, best to keep that oil level on the high side. I'll be checking mine more often too!

Really glad to see that you got such a good deal on getting this fixed up. Personally, the labor cost sounds very reasonable to me. And the price of the engine is pretty much in line with what I've seen them going for here in the U.S.

Keep us posted!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 01:35 PM

Re: Great!

Quote:
Originally posted by zxrider
Yeah, I've been thinking a lot about your situation too Cookee, and have been wondering about how it was going to turn out. Good on ya for keeping your chin up through this. That would've really bummed me out.

Wow, so it was the infamous #3 rod failure after all eh? As you said, best to keep that oil level on the high side. I'll be checking mine more often too!

Really glad to see that you got such a good deal on getting this fixed up. Personally, the labor cost sounds very reasonable to me. And the price of the engine is pretty much in line with what I've seen them going for here in the U.S.

Keep us posted!
Thanks, mate. Good to know I've got friends on here looking out for me.

At this stage the rod theory is the one that fits. I'm going to keep the old engine and pull it apart; a) to see how these things work and b) to find the problem. I might make a trophy out of the broken bits. I did that last year for a mate who threw a rod in his ski boat. Must take a pic next time I'm at the lake to show y'all.

If the work's getting done on one of my days off, I might ask them if I can be present, just to see how things are done and to take pic's for you guys.

I'd be looking into that bypass fix if I were you. Haven't found anyone in Aus doing it, but found lots of info from the States.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Good to hear & especially as the power-plant is popular in Australia. The idea of being able to get a used one back onto the road in a few days is a ruddy relief. So wishing you luck.

I remember back in '61 suddenly my Greeves "Scottish" 200 was stopped by me ONLY later on when I came to start it up the kickstarter was impossible to turn over the motor. Chap towed me home & being towed is pretty common to someone that started riding in '46.

I pull off he cover to look at the flywheel, feeling that was the problem, screwed up the other coils as well including another coil that have also toren free & what a mess for it seems a shoe of a coil had SNAPPED when I stopped & it the other coils. Something I had never seen before & honestly admit that I had never heard of while Eck Hyland of Hyland Crowe Lt., in Birmingham said it was new to him as well--------obviously something new to us. Okay so I continued riding the other Greeves.

Two 1/2 months latter on I have all the parts from the UK by good old 'Parcel Post' ONLY it was all a bit to large like in fractions of an inch, so continued to take off the coils with the shoes, to evenly file away & blue it to see where it would rub & in a week plus I finally had the bike running like a charm. Yes six shoes had to be filed to perfection including the wiring & so much more.

Oh more to it then that, but you get the hang & no one knew enough about Greeves machinery along with their changes of the Villiers power-plants by Greeves, like me-------so it was me & me only that had to do all the work.

So yes Cookee counting on you to be mobile in a while so do let us klnow. As for giveing some thought about changing he cams I would leave them stock in the new power-plant of your bike.

Last edited by Smitty; 06-14-2007 at 06:33 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Good to hear & especially as the power-plant is popular in Australia. The idea of being able to get a used one back onto the road in a few days is a ruddy relief. So wishing you luck...

...As for giveing some thought about changing he cams I would leave them stock in the new power-plant of your bike.
Thanks, mate. I'm already itching to get back on the road. I don't know how you guys survive, not being able to ride for months at a time in winter.

Not sure what to do about the cams There's bucket loads of power without trying to wring more out of it, but I really like the idea of the engine being a little bit special. I'll discuss it with the mechanic when I take it in. I plan on doing a lot more 'cruising' with the new engine, anyway...

Well, for the first week or two...

Will keep you all posted.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 02:08 AM

iam glad to see you getting the bike back on the road in such a short time, I really hate it when i hear about someones bike breaking down like that ( unless they are squids ) wich you are not. keep us up to date on the progress bro.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sscottab
iam glad to see you getting the bike back on the road in such a short time, I really hate it when i hear about someones bike breaking down like that ( unless they are squids ) wich you are not. keep us up to date on the progress bro.
Thanks, mate. Will do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode