Someone is stealing from me - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Someone is stealing from me

I think someone is stealing from me, and it pisses me off.

I know i'm kind of a conspiracy nut, but this time it's for real. Look at this fucking electric bill as of late. My power usage has nearly doubled in the last 3 "actual" readings. How the f**k is that possible. Here's the situation.
It's an old house that has been converted into 3 apartments.

1. My heat is gas, i don't pay for it
2. I don't use the oven
3. I don't leave lights on
4. I'm literally gone for at least 1 week out of the month
5. I haven't turned the AC on yet this year.
6. I supposedly don't pay to heat my water.
7. I'm 1 guy, in a 1 bedroom apartment.

I went downstairs today and messed with the breaker box to see what does what. From what i found out i have...
Breaker for all lights + kitchen outlets
Breaker for all outlets except kitchen
Breaker for porch lights
Breaker for oven
Breaker labeled "hwt". Which i would assume is hot water tank.

I also have 5 mystery breakers that I can't figure out what they do.
When i get back from my 4 day vacation i'll shut everything off and go see if my power thing is still turning outside. Then i'll flip them on 1 by 1 and see what makes that little fucker turn.

Any suggestions???????

PS: for the current reading, I have actually been unplugging everything in my apt except for my fridge when I leave the house.
PPS: you can see how in jun/aug the pwr usage was low, that's how it was for 8 months befor that as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuck.jpg (51.5 KB, 115 views)

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler

Last edited by Tippmann; 06-08-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 06:00 PM

hate to say it, but those 5 extra breakers are routed to Area 51.

Make sure those extra brakers aren't hooked up to some sort of other utility in the house, if they aren't, just keeped them turned off manually. Since its an old house, you may want to hire an electrician expert to check out your wiring to make sure everything is ok. Old wiring may go bad and increase power usage.

Also everything that's plugged into the sockets will add a drain weather the item plugged in is on or not. It's amazing how much wattage TV's use when they aren't even on.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 01:58 AM
Strength and Honor

Since you're renting AND the setup is a breakout by apartment, your concept (previously noted) isn't really that crazy. Could it be possible the power's routed to other places as well? I'd say yeah.

If it were me, I'd pull the panel off and make sure all the wires for power go to switches in the box you're looking at. And I'd make sure the main that comes into your box is the only one on the meter. Then your concept of switching everything off is a good one.

Have you complained to the landlord yet? Do so after your check.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 03:23 AM

Didn't you have the same problem at your other place? Something about unplugging things and coming home to find them plugged back in?

there's hope in the words and emotion in the eyes
it's so easy to be misled by the savvy gentle guise
and like fools we trust the delivery
but it's all just drunk sincerity
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 03:42 AM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Send a message via Yahoo to DreamRyder
I'd do the breaker shut off deal if your main breaker is supposidly for your place only then shut it down temp and watch your meter.. if it's still turning then obvisouly someone elses power is getting read as well If the meter is NOT turning then turn on your auxillary breakers first (other than main appliances) if you have everything off or unplugged you should see lil to no movement of meter... if it does once again you know someone is getting fed off one of your breakers... and I'd shut those suckers off when not around and wait for the folks to start complaining they ain't got no hot water

If ya wanna pay someone to officially check it out yeah get an electrician out to look it over and tell ya.. I think they can also put on a temp unit that will read your usage as well and compare that to the utilities meter.. those things are always 100% accurate... when we built our house we had an electric bill before we even moved in? and nothing was even installed yet as far as appliances... granted usage bill was like 25 dollars or something but hey an extra 25 a month all year that adds up... when I complained they sent someone out and discovered something was wrong but dont' recall what it was now ...

But in your case if it was reading fine one month and the next not then I can't see how the meter would be the fault

Be sure to let us know what you found out....

E.
just for humor... did you check for any long ass extension cords running out from underneath the house to the neighbors

If it's too good to be true... then you must be Dreaming.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 03:51 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by DreamRyder
did you check for any long ass extension cords running out from underneath the house to the neighbors
Perhaps his refrigerator is actually accessible to the next door apartment by trick wall. You don't keep beer in there, do you?

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by phatkidwit1eye
Didn't you have the same problem at your other place? Something about unplugging things and coming home to find them plugged back in?
No, that was the great conspiracy of somone turning the dial up on my fridge. Which i realized i was bumping when i pulled out a pitcher.

Quote:
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
Perhaps his refrigerator is actually accessible to the next door apartment by trick wall. You don't keep beer in there, do you?
Lol. Best commercial ever.

Quote:
WARNING
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

I'll post an update monday when i return. Quick question though. If someone is ripping me off, and i do shut the main breaker off, they'll lose their power as well. So in theory won't the dial stop turning too? And if so, how do i know if i accomplished anything?

On monday i'll flip then on 1 by 1 and see where the power usage is coming from.

One last one. I'm aware that power is still used when stuff is plugged in but not turned on. If i shut off the breaker that the appliance is plugged into, is power still used?

Quote:
WARNING
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 05:03 AM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Send a message via Yahoo to DreamRyder
when you flip the main breaker off - NO POWER is being used at that point - at least from that breaker on.... you can have multiple breaker boxes on one meter.... so what may be YOUR main breaker may not be the ONLY Main Breaker for that meter...

For example: We have a 300 AMP service all being read by one meter... Our house has a 200 AMP main breaker box, Our barn has a 100AMP main breaker box... so if I shut off the main breaker for the house what ever is in the barn will still cause the meter to turn... Now WE have a main shut off switch that cuts ALL power off between the transformer and our Breaker Boxes this is for when we need to run our Back Up Generator and when we throw that switch then ALL Power stops and so does the meter.

this will tell you two things:

it'll double check that the meter is not turning from another source such as one of the other apartments....

and if your box is truely the only one attached to the meter...
it'll check to see if there is something wrong with the meter... our meter was spinning and we had the main cut off switch off - they came out and found a problem with the meter...

E.

If it's too good to be true... then you must be Dreaming.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode