Natural Selection - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Natural Selection

The parents drove into the swollen creek, got out of the car, and left the 4 year old kid. Story:

We can't stop them from procreating, but at least natural selection is keeping them from having viable offspring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 12:56 PM

thats kind of a cruel statement to say.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JBaz
thats kind of a cruel statement to say.
I'm not known for my empathy.

I live in an area where we face flash floods frequently (I am known for my aliteration). We have such trouble with stupid people driving into rain swollen washes (or creeks, as they call them back east) that they have enacted a "Stupid motorist" law here in Phoenix. If you have to be rescued from a wash, you have to pay for it. It sorta burns you out on being sorry for people that drive into running water.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevlar7R
...(I am known for my aliteration)...
...and also for your incorrect spelling of alliteration.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 02:45 PM

Hi Kevlar7R-

My guess is that the girl's mother and the other adult got out of the car first and then the vehicle was subsequently washed away before they could grab the little 4-year-old child.

If they allowed the little girl to get out first and she was washed down a storm drain while the adults were still seated in the vehicle...we would be calling them irresponsible idiots who got their kid killed.

I show very little quarter for irresponsibility, but this sounds like they were a bunch of innocent dimwits who weren't looking to get their child hurt...and then this nightmare bites them in the ass.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 03:05 PM

I don't think they left the little on purpose, either. I'm pretty sure it took them time to get out and probably took them more time to try to get in a position to take the little girl out. I'm assuming the girl was in a baby's chair? ....or are 4yr olds too big for those.

If the girl wasn't in a baby chair...why didn't she get out???

In either case, I do hope the little girl is okay.

Also, I've had my close calls when going over a flooded road. I can never spot a flooded road. I just do my best to know the road and avoid any flood.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 03:43 PM

lots of people do not realize how powerful water really is. In a flash flood. Only 1" of flash flood water could knock you off your feet if your not careful. Only 3" in enough to start pushing heavy shit off the road. I think like 6" is when cars and trucks start to drift away.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 09:49 PM

Hi JBaz-

Those are interesting facts. I've been hiking and have dipped my hand in shallow, fast-moving streams and have been amazed at how much "pull" there is with the water.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 10:16 PM

You should go white water rafting. Thats so much fun! Man I should go do that some time again. Its crazy when you go through 4 or 5 level rappids. I had my raft almost flipped on me once and doing so, one of my friends in the raft got sucked right out of the boat and his helmet broke right off when he hits a large rock in the rapids. He wasn't hurt, but man, just to think if he didn't have a helmet.

Safety first
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 08:21 AM

In some states they are pushing a law that if your child is under 6 or 75lbs, I beleive, you are required to have them in a child seat. One of my old teachers that I am good friends with just now let their daughter, who is in 6th grade, ride in a car without a child seat. But with respect to the whole water deal, why would you be driving through flooding areas to start with?

Sepias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode