How is this even legal?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

How is this even legal??

Quote:
US Army Reserve blocks departures

The US Army Reserve, strained by the Iraq war, has blocked hundreds of officers who have finished their voluntary service commitment from leaving the military, officials said today.

The Army Reserve has been applying a policy preventing officers from resigning their military commissions if it has a personnel shortage in their particular specialty or if they have not yet been deployed for duty in Iraq, Afghanistan or in a homeland defense mission, officials said.

"There is a global war on terrorism going on. We have shortages in certain fields. We do what we do for the needs of the country," said Army Reserve spokesman Steve Stromvall.

Roughly 400 officers have had their resignations rejected under the policy, put in place in 2004, the Army Reserve said.

A small number have filed court challenges, saying that while they are proud of their service, the Army Reserve's policy is unlawful and breaches the concept of an all-volunteer military.

The Army Reserve, a force of part-time federal soldiers who can be summoned by the Pentagon to active duty from civilian life, missed its fiscal 2005 recruiting goal and is 5 percent behind its year-to-date recruiting target seven months into fiscal 2006.

The outgoing head of the Army Reserve, Lieutenant General James Helmly, said in 2004 said it was "degenerating into a 'broken' force" due to dysfunctional military policies".

"Every soldier that accepts a commission knows or should know the circumstances under which he is accepting that commission," Mr Stromvall said.

"There is no fault to somebody asking to resign. They've completed their eight years of service. They stepped up. They served honourably. I have absolutely nothing critical to say about them doing that. But circumstances are what they are," Mr Stromvall said.

He declined to identify which specialties were experiencing shortages.

This policy is separate from "stop-loss", under which the Army has forced tens of thousands of soldiers in units designated for duty in Iraq or Afghanistan to continue serving after their voluntary stints in the military ended.

The Pentagon has relied heavily on part-time Army Reserve and National Guard soldiers in Iraq. As recently as last (northern) summer, these soldiers made up 40 per cent of the US force in Iraq, although the number has now dropped to about 20 per cent.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 03:33 PM

Hi cookeetree-

We have a variety of roles that people aren't allowed to quit in our country at certain times: air traffic controllers, subway train operators, police officers, and firefighters among others. I would imagine that if I was a soldier in a hot zone who completed my tour, I'd be very excited about packing my bags.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 03:43 PM

Their is a clause in their military contracts, I'm sure, that states the right to retire after a cetain amount of time can be revoked due to certain reasons. Like BlueJays said, there are certain jobs that can't just quite or go on strike in the US.

Sepias

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 04:01 PM

I bet those soldiers are very specialized such as a high-tech position for a new weapon system. Until, they can find a replacement, they are SOL. And the officers are prolly critical managers for these types of new systems.

This prolly doesn't affect normal grunts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 07:24 AM

Hi JBaz-

Good point and I'll bet you're probably 100% correct.

~ Blue Jays ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode