My company is about to start blocking websites! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation My company is about to start blocking websites!

Well, my sessions here on SBW look like they're about to get shortened severely.

My company is about to roll-out a new internet security system that, aside from blocking viruses, will "filter out sites classified as workplace inappropriate". Somehow, I think SBW will fall into that category.

I've only got a dodgy dial-up service at home, so I don't think I'll be able to get on here as much. Never fear, I'll still be here, just not as often.

Roll-out starts on May 8th.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 08:03 PM

Every system has ways around it. Hopefully you won't need to use any back doors, but you may. I'm surprised their just now implementing it, most places have had it for a long time. Good luck, and let us know of any news!

Sepias
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 08:09 PM

Never fear! My company has a very restrictive security system that is called "Webblocker" or something like that. But, this site is not at all blocked. I have tested it severely, and it is a pretty good system from a company point of view, but alas, SBW is golden for me at work. I was quite surprised when I was able to access all aspects of this site at work, considering the wide range of content. I'm guessing it's because the format of SBW is considered clean by all the filters they use.

Here's to hoping you too are one of the Lucky one's when you're at work and don't really have to work!!!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 09:04 PM

I can view sbw at work... then again my company doesn't even have a sexual harassment policy...

My work does get akward at times, expecially since my job is straight out from "Office Space" the movie. I overheard a coversation midway near my cubical with the word "titty bar", "stripper", "wife", and "I'm out of" in a sentence. This was all coming from a British man. Haha. I broke in and said "What are you guys talking about?" lol. Fyi, our VP of marketing was in the converstion (he's not British) so you can understand how relaxed the workplace is.

I love my job.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 06:20 AM

thats really shitty cookeetree. Hopefully this site is not blocked. I dont know what I would do if I didnt have the internet at work.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 06:30 AM

Hi cookeetree-

We're hoping that you obtain a faster connection for your home computer. As far as work access goes, it's their network, their computers, their servers, and their offices.

You could always get a laptop with broadband connectivity.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 07:01 AM
Strength and Honor

Corporate web tools vary quite widely and it will depend on what stance is taken: fully open and close as needed -or- fully closed and open as needed. Typical security starting points.

Most IT shops wouldn't start fully closed since admins and developers use forums extensively for research into problems and project work. So if you're in that boat, I wouldn't be too concerned.

There are always ways around site-specific blocks

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 07:57 AM

wish i could have a computer to play on while i was at work..haha
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 08:14 AM

Being the NA here at my work we do block certain sites. But what I did was setup a computer in the break room so people could use it for there personal email and surfing while on lunch break or there 15 minute coffee break. It has worked really well and we have had fewer virus outbreaks because of it.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 09:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Same thing happened to me back in 2002 with SBW. It was blocked for about 2 years for me.

Now, for some reason it's all open again. Doesn't matter to me as long as I can get on and dick around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode