Those Crazy Mexicans! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Those Crazy Mexicans!

Story:

Quote:
Mexico Set to Decriminalize Some Drug Use
By MARK STEVENSON

MEXICO CITY (AP) - Mexico's Congress approved a bill Friday decriminalizing possession of small amounts of marijuana, ecstasy, cocaine and heroin for personal use - a measure sure to raise questions in Washington about Mexico's commitment to the war on drugs.

The only step remaining was the signature of the president, whose office indicated he would sign it.

Mexican officials hope the law will help police focus on large-scale trafficking operations, rather than minor drug busts. The bill also stiffens penalties for trafficking and possession of drugs - even small quantities - by government employees or near schools, and maintains criminal penalties for drug sales.

The Bush administration had no immediate reaction.

The bill, passed by Mexico's Senate on a 53-26 vote with one abstention, had already been approved in the lower house of Congress and was sent to the desk of President Vicente Fox for his signature.

``This law gives police and prosecutors better legal tools to combat drug crimes that do so much damage to our youth and children,'' presidential spokesman Ruben Aguilar said.

The bill says criminal charges will no longer be brought for possession of up to 25 milligrams of heroin, five grams of marijuana (about one-fifth of an ounce, or about four joints), and half a gram of cocaine - about half the standard street-size quantity, which is enough for several lines of the drug.

``No charges will be brought against ... addicts or consumers who are found in possession of any narcotic for personal use,'' according to the Senate bill, which also lays out allowable quantities for a large array of other drugs, including LSD, MDA, ecstasy - about two pills' worth, - and amphetamines.

Some of the amounts are eye-popping: Mexicans would be allowed to possess 2.2 pounds of peyote, the button-sized hallucinogenic cactus used in some native Indian religious ceremonies.

Mexican law now leaves open the possibility of dropping charges against people caught with drugs if they are considered addicts and if ``the amount is the quantity necessary for personal use.'' But the exemption isn't automatic.

The new bill drops the ``addict'' requirement - automatically allowing any ``consumers'' to have drugs - and sets out specific allowable quantities.

Sale of all drugs would remain illegal under the proposed law, unlike the Netherlands, where the sale of marijuana for medical use is legal and it can be bought with a prescription in pharmacies.

While Dutch authorities look the other way regarding the open sale of cannabis in designated coffee shops - something Mexican police seem unlikely to do - the Dutch have zero tolerance for heroin and cocaine. In both countries, commercial growing of marijuana is outlawed.

The effects could be significant, given that Mexico is rapidly becoming a drug-consuming nation as well as a shipment point for traffickers, and given the number of U.S. students who flock to border cities or resorts like Cancun and Acapulco on vacation.

``This is going to increase addictions in Mexico,'' said Ulisis Bon, a drug treatment expert in Tijuana, where heroin use is rampant. ``A lot of Americans already come here to buy medications they can't get up there ... Just imagine, with heroin.''
I am at a loss for words.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 08:00 AM

I wonder how long it will last... I'm also curious as to how many members of their congress were users of the drugs being legalized...

Sepias
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 08:27 AM

Where is this world going? I'd say it's not going anywhere good right now. Too much SHIT is going. As far as the drug use goes; I'd say that has been a problem for a long time; period. But to make it legal; I don't understand that. I am waiting to hear a response from our fearlous leader Bush!

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 11:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
I like it.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 05:26 PM

I can see Mejico's tourism go up again.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Z_Fanatic
That might be a driving factor behind their decision for legalization...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Spring Break is going to be INSANE next year, and I don't mean that in a good way. Some kids will probably die.

The kids who smoke/snort were going to do it anyway, but now it will be too easy to convince other kids to try some weed or coke since "it's legal here".
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 07:06 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
While users or experimenters will be interested, it actually is a disincentive for me to ever go there again. Glad I already saw Chichen Iza.

Being something of a Libertarian, I'm not sure I care......

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode