How terrible for his family... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy How terrible for his family...

Quote:
Wrong body sent home

The body of the first Australian soldier to be killed in Iraq was scheduled to arrive in Melbourne this morning, but in what the Defence Department said is a "terrible mistake", the wrong body has been returned.

The body of Private Jake Kovco is due to be given a service in Gippsland with full military honours, but the coffin that arrived in Melbourne this morning contained the wrong body.

The 25-year-old private accidentally shot himself while cleaning his weapon in Baghdad on Friday.

He was a member of the 110-strong security detachment in Iraq's capital to protect Australian officials.

The Defence Department said the return of Private Kovco's body to Australia "has been delayed".

It said in a statement that an error occurred in Kuwait and the incorrect casket was despatched.

The department said Private Kovco's body will be flown to Australia immediately, by private charter if necessary.

It said the cause of "this unacceptable, terrible mistake" will be the subject of a thorough investigation, and "no stone will be left unturned" to get to the bottom of the mix-up.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 02:56 PM

Shot himself while cleaning his weapon?!?! Lets hope he didn't have any children so the stupidity ends there.

-M-
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mstrand_68
Shot himself while cleaning his weapon?!?! Lets hope he didn't have any children so the stupidity ends there.

-M-
That's harsh but I'm gonna have to agree with you on that one.

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:

-M-
mstrand_68, you are an a***hole. this guy was serving in Iraq, fighting your stupid war, and he has left a wife and 2 kids. your insensitivity is unbelievable!!!
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 10:09 PM

Hi aussier6-

Cleaning a weapon without safely removing the magazine and ensuring the chamber is clear is what is unbelievable.

As far as "our" war is concerned...the fight against terrorism is being waged by all civilized nations of the globe against maniacal murderers killing in the name of religion...but thanks for participating anyway.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Jays
Hi aussier6-

Cleaning a weapon without safely removing the magazine and ensuring the chamber is clear is what is unbelievable.

As far as "our" war is concerned...the fight against terrorism is being waged by all civilized nations of the globe against maniacal murderers killing in the name of religion...but thanks for participating anyway.

~ Blue Jays ~
i agree the magazine etc. should have been removed/cleared , but mstrand_68 waas pretty low in saying what he said. who knows what his situation was, what he was thinking/feeling. i feel that a little more compassion could be shown for his family and not making some flippant remark regarding his children (of which he has 2 and thankfully they probably wont be reading any of these posts.)

as for the war against terrorism, again i agree that something has to be done, but i feel the focus in iraq has been lost. it appears, in my humble opion, that it was to hard to track down bin laden and so the focus has been shifted away from him and onto a war that if things arent brougth under control soon the situation will develop into another viet nam.

and as for rolling your eyes at me, belt it up your ars*!
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 12:10 AM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Quote:

-M-

Bye strand, not nice to know you. You continued to push the ban line, now you crossed it. So long, have a crappy one.

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 06:24 AM

Hi aussier6-

Military service is voluntary in most countries of the world and I imagine this young man was in Iraq because he took a job as a soldier. His death and the entirely avoidable accident that killed him are tragic...but it doesn't lessen our need to bring the fight to the violent terrorist monsters.

If decent and free countries didn't have a military presence in Afghanistan and Iraq, the frontlines would be in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, and Canberra instead. Not to mention New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, London, Berlin, Madrid, Rome, Paris, Budapest, Warsaw, Vienna, Stockholm, Dublin, and a bunch of other cities where generally sane people reside. Hey, at least they're not beheading Christians in Vienna like they are in Baghdad.

Thanks for the offer to "belt things up my ars*" for me, but I'll stick to debating with words and ideas.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 06:36 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by Jester
Bye strand, not nice to know you. You continued to push the ban line, now you crossed it. So long, have a crappy one.
And good riddance to dead weight.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aussier6
i agree the magazine etc. should have been removed/cleared , but mstrand_68 waas pretty low in saying what he said. who knows what his situation was, what he was thinking/feeling. i feel that a little more compassion could be shown for his family and not making some flippant remark regarding his children (of which he has 2 and thankfully they probably wont be reading any of these posts.)

as for the war against terrorism, again i agree that something has to be done, but i feel the focus in iraq has been lost. it appears, in my humble opion, that it was to hard to track down bin laden and so the focus has been shifted away from him and onto a war that if things arent brougth under control soon the situation will develop into another viet nam.

and as for rolling your eyes at me, belt it up your ars*!

Ah, f*ck all that. You agree that trend has a point, but feel offended by how he said it. Get over it. I'd see you point if he said something like that to the widow, children, or friends. But he didnt. Lets not push the "respect for the dead" thing too far. No one here knew the guy, no one knows what he was like, dying doesnt make someone perfect, and it certainly doesnt take away our free speech. As far as I'm concerned your "up yours" comment is considerably more offencive, considering it was directed at a live person that can actually be offended by it. Lets not censor humanity in the name of political correctness.

As for your iraq comments do some research before you start running your mouth. Which country gave $10,000 to the family of every palestinian suicide bomber? Which country built a nuclear program? which country used chemical weapons on its own population? Which country expressed interest in cooperating with al-quada? Iraq. Or did you think if we just catch bin laden all the rest of the jihadis would put away their bombs and go drink some java at starbucks?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode