Computer techs needed... HELP ME!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Computer techs needed... HELP ME!!!

Ok, the story goes like this....

About a month ago, my computer started randomly rebooting for no apparent reason. I went to work trying to find the solution to my problem...

Step one, Reload HDs... maybe I got a virus? Computer continued to reboot.

Step 2, replace HDs. Problem continued

Step 3, Replace MB and Processor. Problem continued.

Step 4, Replace Memory modules. Problem continued.

Step 5, Replace CD Drives and reload again. Problem continued.

Step 6, Replace video and audio cards. Problem continued.

I finally decided that in spite of everyone telling me the PSU wouldnt be the problem, I was going to replace it. It was the only part remaining that had not been touched. I went out and bought a new one today. I installed it, and booted my computer. after less than 5 minutes, the computer shut down AGAIN.

I am out of options for things to fix or replace, Ive loaded windows several times, Ive done everything I could possibly imagine, and the problem is still there.

I need advice, BAD. (and dont start with something like "buy a dell", there isnt a computer on the market that will do what I need.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 09:32 AM

I was guess the PSU from the start.

It could be an overheating problem. Most processors will shut down and reboot at a predetermined temp.
Steps to analyze.
See if rebooting takes place at relativly regular intervals.
Get some software to monitor the cpu temp.

I had a simular problem in the past, the computer would reboot halfway into my favorite game. I simply adjusted the reboot temp up 5 degrees and it went away.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Ill give that a try... seems odd that it would do that though. Aside from the case, I am running an entirely different computer now.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:23 AM

I agree with vash, if it's not the power source, then its overheating. Try one of these programs to check the temp of the CPU

Motherboard Monitor

CPU Eat and Cool

MBM will show you the temps from all your sensors on the MB, and depending on the motherboard, allow you to adjust the fan speeds and the CPU shut off temp. CPU eat and cool adjusts the sleep cycles for the processor which forces it to run slower and cooler, but does kill performance. Both are for XP, I assume thats what your running. For a more long term solution, depending on your mobo manufacturor, you should be able to perminatly boost the CPU and other chassis fan speeds. Also try taking off the side pannels of your PC to increase the air flow. You might just need a new case lol. NewEgg.com has pretty good deals on high flow casses. I have 5 fans on my PC and it still runs boarderline to overheating, only other option is a liquid cooling system, but that will cost a fair amount. Or buy one of the high end massive cpu heatsink fan combo's.

Good luck,
Sepias
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

The side panels of my case have been off since this problem first started. Buying a new case would be a waste of money.

Ken, I cant figure out where to go to change what actions my computer takes when it senses overheating.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:56 AM

A case might actually cool worse with the covers off (since it messes up the air channels)
Go to your bios (you know hit Del during the memmory test) there should be settings in there. One menu should show you the current temp, and another should have 2 different controlable set points at which it takes action. You cant control what action it takes, but you can control when.

Of course all of this is motherboard specific so it may be totally different for yours.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 12:10 PM

If he has a lower end mobo or one from certain PC manufacturors, they dont allow for the tweaking of certain apects like the operating temps. Have you reset the mobo via the dip switches? If you just bought a new mobo of the same model it could be a firmware issue that changed the running temp settings. Reseting the entire mobo would clear it back to the first version. Just an idea though, I doubt its the problem, but I've seen stranger things.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 02:39 PM

pm sent give me a call

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 02:48 PM

Hi ZX6R1033-

Where is this computer located...is it a work machine or one you own personally? If at work, can you change your location to a server room that has ideal temperature/humidity controls as a short-term solution?

~ Blue Jays ~
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Its a home computer.

New Setup

Motherboard : Asus A8V
Processor: AMD Athelon 64
PSU: Unknown
HD: Maxtor 200gig 7,200 RPM
Memory: Crucial, 1gig
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9200 Xtacy
Sound Card: M-Audio Delta 44

Old setup

Motherboard: Asus A6N
Processor: AMD Athelon XP
PSU: Okia
HD: (1) Maxtor 60gig 7200 rpm, (1) Maxtor 40gig 7200 rpm
Memory: PNY (1)1gig, (1)512meg
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9200 Dual Moniter
Sound Card: M-Audio Delta 44

I looked through BIOS yesterday after work, and I couldn;t find anything for changing the saftey feature for the temp. I pulled the heat sink off, wiped the old (3 day old, wow) grease off, applied new grease, and put it back together. I have a spare ATX case in the garage, I could put a second computer together with my parts from the first one, aside from the HD which was a total loss when the computer crashed the first time. Unfortunatly, I have spent all the money I care to spend on this thing for now... I have too many other things I want. I have replaced every single part in the computer, and the problem is still there. By my math, that means I have spent over $500 that I didnt need to spend in an attempt to get it up and running again.

On a side note... the computer only kicks off when I am trying to run a program that demands a rather high amount of processor. If the computer is ideling, it seems to work OK. The monitering software I was linked to will not even detect the sensors for the CPU, so it is of no help to me at this stage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode