who knows a lot about electronics? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

who knows a lot about electronics?

I am looking for something... but I have yet to come up with any ideas on where to find it. I need an electronic countdown timer that can be set for anywhere from 1-10 seconds. It will be used to trigger a strobe... but I only want the strobe to flash once, so alarm clocks and the such are out.

I dont know if Im missing any important information or not... so any ideas or questions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 09:36 AM

Well you can go all fancy and built a circuit using a 555 timer. Or you can use a capacitor that will disharge thru a resistor and trigger the gate of a transistor. But either way means a great deal of soldering...

Or maybe go all oldschool with some relay logic and an oven timer...

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Well you can go all fancy and built a circuit using a 555 timer. Or you can use a capacitor that will disharge thru a resistor and trigger the gate of a transistor. But either way means a great deal of soldering...

Or maybe go all oldschool with some relay logic and an oven timer...

you know... I had your myspace page on my screen, and was about to click "send message" but suddenly thought "maybe he wouldnt know?". lol.

Anyway, soldering = Not a problem at all. I am looking for the most cost efficient way to achieve my goal. All I really need is a way to press a button, initiating a 3 second countdown. When 0 is reached, it discharges a strobe.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 10:25 AM

Oven timer and relay will probably be your best option. I'd draw you a schematic, but I need more info on the strobe

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

I haven't got a strobe picked out as of yet... I found a strobe kit (circuit board and all) for $10.95 on a website... probably two of those would work perfectly, but now I cant find the site again.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 11:24 AM

The oven timer would be the easiest. You could do the 555 timer and use a variable resistor and create the same effect. Depending on the number of volts and amps the strobe pulls you might need to run it though a transistor so you dont fry your timer.

Sepias
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

Okay, I found the strobe kits I was looking at.

Chaney Electronics

I was talking with my father last night about the project, and he suggested that maybe I could set it up with a shock sensor type trigger, and the delay could be the capacitors charging for the flash... no arm switch. So when the device senses the shock, it triggers the strobe... the caps charge, then discharge. The shock sensor trigger he described is a pole with a ring around the outside. When the pin is moved, it hits the ring, thus triggering the chain.

Would this actually work?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ZX6R1033
Okay, I found the strobe kits I was looking at.

Chaney Electronics

I was talking with my father last night about the project, and he suggested that maybe I could set it up with a shock sensor type trigger, and the delay could be the capacitors charging for the flash... no arm switch. So when the device senses the shock, it triggers the strobe... the caps charge, then discharge. The shock sensor trigger he described is a pole with a ring around the outside. When the pin is moved, it hits the ring, thus triggering the chain.

Would this actually work?
I think you should explain what it is you plan to do with this thing. Yes, its possible to activate it in the strobe in that way. The hard part is actually turning it off. The acceleration sensor (the ring and wire thingie), can turn on a locking relay circuit, but you would need another timer to turn it off (or something timer-esque)

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
I think you should explain what it is you plan to do with this thing. Yes, its possible to activate it in the strobe in that way. The hard part is actually turning it off. The acceleration sensor (the ring and wire thingie), can turn on a locking relay circuit, but you would need another timer to turn it off (or something timer-esque)

I am attempting to make a simulation flash-bang for practice in room clearing. A strobe is the best thing I can think of to simulate the flash... and this would be reusable, which is important. I need a way to either trigger it, or have it sense the impact when we throw it, but I only want it to flash once.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 06:09 AM

I'm sorry I asked.

Ok, you need a 9v zener diode, a capacitor, a battery, and your impact sensor. Let me see if I can find a scanner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode