WiFi Connection Strength Question.. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Question WiFi Connection Strength Question..

I am surfing the web right now on my desk top and couldn't have a better connection. I also have my laptop right next to the wireless router and it's signal strenght is very low or no connection at all. Does anybody know if there is a setting that I need to change under internet properties perhaps that I am unaware of. I don't see the point in a wireless router if I can't get a good signal. Especially when the laptop is 1 inch from the router. Thanks for any info. on this non-bike related question. Actually this is bike related, because if I can't get a signal in my garage, how can I check all the new posts from Sportbike World when I'm working on one of the bikes!? There; it is now bike related!!!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciatted!

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 12:56 PM

Hi YZFr6-TX:

Are you 100% certain that your machine is connecting to your router as the default? Depending on your neighborhood, it could be accessing a variety of routers. I can connect using one of four from my living room because my neighbors' networks are unsecured.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 12:58 PM

You should make sure you have the correct router selected. If your running windows XP go to the bottom right hand corner of you screen by the clock. You should see a little arrow pointing to the left. Click it and the bar will expand. Now look for something that looks like a computer with little bars ((( coming off it. Double click on it and you will get a new window that pops up. In the bottom right corner above close you should see a button that says view wireless networks. Click on it and anouther window will pop up. You will most likely have several networks to choos from, find the one with the most bars on it and highlight it then click connect. If you get a window that says its an unsecured network click connect anyways (this is most likely the reason why it connected to the wrong network, windows XP will not connect to an unincripted network unless you force it to). If that doesn't solve your problem unplug the power to your router and plug it back in and see if that does it. Past that it might be a hardware incapatability or a driver going bad, I can walk you through those as well.

Good luck
Sepias

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
Past that it might be a hardware incapatability or a driver going bad, I can walk you through those as well.
Or some significant interference.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
Or some significant interference.
very true

2.4ghz phones and microwaves will mess with WiFi signals
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 09:33 AM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Wireless signals act like an umbreallw. If you have the machine an inch from the router, you could be missing the signal all together. Pull the laptop 5-6 feet away and see if the signal increases. Other oprions

1. Unplug cordless phones and base units.
2. Change channel on router.
3. Place router in another part of hte room and see if signal changes, it can have interference from a pc monitor, tc etc.

What router is it?

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

I'm not at the house right now, but I believe the router is made by Netgear. It is the basic $50 router from Dell computers.

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 12:00 PM

Not to thread jack but, do you guys know if it is illegal/safe to use a neighbors unsecured network? Is it like getting an internet access at a coffee shop until they decide to secure it? Or should I keep pluggin up my laptop whenever I decide to go downstairs?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Quote:
Originally posted by tru7627
Not to thread jack but, do you guys know if it is illegal/safe to use a neighbors unsecured network? Is it like getting an internet access at a coffee shop until they decide to secure it? Or should I keep pluggin up my laptop whenever I decide to go downstairs?
Yes it is illegal. A guy in Florida I think got arrested for it.

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 02:49 PM

hmm....okay, guess that answers my question thanks Jester.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode