XM radio - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

XM radio

Borrow a friends account... and now I'm hooked. So its time to sign up.. got some equipment questions. Is there anything thats worths a damn as a personal and car/home player? Or should I just get seperate ones?
I dont mind installing a new car stereo to work with this thing, but home stereo would have to use rca jacks or something like that... Anyways, share some expirieces.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 12:41 PM

Get Sirius. It's kicking XM's ass. My buddy has XM and I got Sirius for X-mas. I like mine way better. The home kit plugs right into any stereo. Haven't really looked at my car kit yet, since my truck is in pieces.

-M-
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Ok whats the difference?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 12:57 PM

Content mainly. Sirius seemed more user friendly too. XM has been out longer so they do have a few more channels, but sirius is throwing a lot of money around and getting sweet stuff. They are definatly taking over. $500 million for Stern. That was the only reason I bought it at first. But now I like the music content on their channels more so than XM.

-M-
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 03:03 PM

i agree i was going to get xm but i am glad i got sirius my radio cost $50. and i take it in the garbage truck with me every day and then take it home and put it in the car. and i use my computer for in the house use.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 04:48 PM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by mstrand_68
Get Sirius. It's kicking XM's ass. My buddy has XM and I got Sirius for X-mas. I like mine way better. The home kit plugs right into any stereo. Haven't really looked at my car kit yet, since my truck is in pieces.
-M-
YMWV. I'm an XM fan. Considered Sirius but the entire risk with any satellite radio is whether it will still be around in a few years. Sirius is in much deeper financial trouble than XM.

If you're conservative by nature, XM has more conservative programming than Sirius.

But, to make you decision easier, both offer like a month online listening free. If I recall correctly. So check them out yourself.

And my says don't waste your money getting a car radio just for the satellite service. Instead get the kits and take the receiver with you: in the car, in your home, to the beach, in your office, etc etc. If you get the car radio, you can ONLY listen to it in THAT car. Waste of money IMO.

EDIT: Oh, Sirius does have an advantage in that they offer a lifetime subscription, which you cannot get from XM.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 09:31 PM

Hi All-

Members of my family purchased the lifetime Sirius membership. Keep in mind it is for the lifetime of the particular piece of hardware one chooses to purchase...not lifetime in terms of one's account.

Sirius seems to do an awful lot of heavy rotation on some of the rock stations I've listened. There are hundreds of thousands of great classic rock & roll bands...why should I hear the same song on the same channel within the span of five hours? That seems absurd to me.

It would be interesting to see if either of them have any motorcycle-specific talkshows.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Lifetime of equipment? Thats a bunch of crap right there..

Looks like I need to do more research on xm vs sirius... Its my expirience that more channels does not necessarily mean more good music.

On to equipment. Here is the thing. The cage is still running the stock stereo, and it wont hurt my feelings any at all to rip it all out and use it for target practice.
Now I like the little portable players (delphi?), but their way of tying into a car stereo is questionable. There is nothing more ghetto than using the cassette looking adaptor. They also have some type of FM transmitter, but I'm concerned over how much it would degrade the quality. Some shielded pre-amp lines would be perfect.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 03:44 AM
Strength and Honor

I have a renewed opinion of XM. They have begun instituting commercials on some of their channels, thus eliminating the main value proposition of satellite radio for me. Is the same occurring on Sirius? Note that I'm not talking about the stations that are television-turned-radio but rather their own radio stations.

I won't be renewing since I might as well invest the recurring funds in new albums. Had a feeling this was going to happen but was praying it'd be later rather than sooner.

PS: If you're looking for XM hardware drop me a line and I'll consider selling mine.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 04:58 AM

Check this out: http://www.pandora.com/

A few ccs short of a full litre.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode