First night bike sat outside... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Angry First night bike sat outside...

Ok, so me and a buddy just moved in to our new apt. on saturday. First thing that pops in to my head is my bike won't be in a nice heated garage anymore. No problem since winter is pretty much over. I am gong to get a cover for when it rains and that's about all I can afford right now.

So sunday I wake up go outside and what do I see??? A half smoked cigarette butt neatly placed on my bike. After an hour I got done cussing and plotting murderous revenge and thought...

Now what? I can't afford an alarm (not that that would do much for things like that) or anything for that matter right now. So I'm thinking I would set up my video camera in the window, start it when I go to bed and inspect the bike in the morning, if somethings wrong take a look at the video. Some dip shit tries that again I will have him on tape.

Thoughts, suggestions???

-M-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 10:43 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Living in an apartment is how we got one of our bikes stolen. I'd say your best bet is finding a friend/family member nearby who doesn't mind you keeping the bike at their place. Otherwise all the covers, cable locks, disc locks, and cameras in the world won't keep people from fucking with it or taking it if they really want to bad enough.

Edit: Are you on the first floor? Your living room would make a fine parking place. Lots of people do that...just don't let the apartment management see it.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 11:22 AM

When you catch the bastard that did it, PLEASE torture him.

Vandals and thieves NEED to be taught a lesson. Make it count!

If you need ANY help, just let me know. ;-)

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 11:22 AM

Reminds me of my living in an apt.. Found mine on its side one evening.

I recommend an alarm. Scorpio can be had for $300, and it has a proximity alarm that will wake the neighbours and page you should someone step too close.

Unless of course you can pull off spicers idea...

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 01:27 PM

Does your town have a lot of trouble with vandals and the like? If not, a cover should discourage most peole from messing with the bike.

I live in an apartment and park my bike outside during the summer, but cover it every night. I live downtown and since it is a college town we have intoxicated people walking by the apartments almost every night. I have never had a problem with people messing around with my bike.

Hopefully it was just a one time thing by some punk passerby. If someone really wants to mess with it, nothing short of putting it in a garage will help. Most other options are reactionary and do nothing to prevent the problem.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

It's a 2 story apt. and I don't think it could make the turn if I tried to roll it into the living room. The stairs to the 2nd floor are right in front of the door. If it could fit it would be a bitch rolling it in and out every day/night.

Currently it is my only vehicle. My '68 C10 is down to the frame and will be a few months before that gets going. Then I will store it back in the g/f's garage. I don't have the $300 to spend on an alarm since this moving thing has left me in a jam for cash. So for a few months I guess I will have to figure something out.

Another thing is there are at least 6 other bikes in the complex, you would think it would be a bike friendly place.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just looked up our cost on the scorpio - $298, not bad. I could get the bad ass one with all the options ($399) for $300. Hmmm. The current "motocycle fund" is for stainless brake lines. I guess I could change it up this time.

Thanks for the posts.

-M-
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 01:40 PM

Do you live close to a storage area? On chap I know is around a mile from his home so that is where his bike is stored. All he uses is a old 10-speed bicycle to the storage area & then on his m/x to end up putting the m/x in the storage & cycling home. Another chap pays a small fee to store his bike in a garage of a neighbor & only a one block walk.

Way back one of my best friends payed this elderly couple to their unused garage. I helped him put better locks on it & we sometimes had three or more of his bikes in it to even a sidecar plus it was working space if he so wanted, but we were two of three owners of a m/c shop.

Later on he bought this grubby old home for a low-low price & moved into it to use said rooms. Later on bought another grubby houes in said street & after a while owned most of the houses on said streets. No one could see, as he did, that roads & city was going to expand so he ended up with a lot of money for these simply usless homes (they were right next to railway & Govt buildings so when the Govt was about to expande, guess who owned most of the homes on said street?) & yes he rented one house to another rider that was a handyman who agreed to correct it & keep it up to shape of being sort of workable, but really they were terrible old homes probaly built prior to the depression so that means sometimes in the teens of 1900 or possibly earlier.

Last edited by Smitty; 03-28-2006 at 12:15 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Do you live close to a storage area?
This is a real good thing if there is one close enough. If you can walk there in a couple of minutes it would be well worth it. Like 15-30 bucks / month for one that will fit your bike. Let us know how the video goes!!!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 03:51 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Sounds like your best bet is to make it such a pain in the ass for someone to steal/mess with that it simply isn't worth it. Covers, locks, alarms, etc. Cable lock it to multiple trees/poles, hide it as well as you can, etc. Basically, make all the other bikes in the complex more attractive targets.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

It rained last night!!! First time for everything.

We only have 2 parking spots right in front of our place. No storage units close to where I am either. I'm sure once I get a cover nobody will mess with it around here. Sometime this summer I will get the alarm. There is a covered sidewalk going right down the front of all the apartments so I think I'm going to roll it under there right below the living room window then set the camera up in plain site until I get the alarm.

I'm not to worried about the weekdays, it's the weekends with drunk college students walking around. Since it is a college apt. pretty much. Once college gets out it will be a ghost town.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raining again. Damn me for not ordering that cover a long time ago.

-M-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode