Accident Video - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Accident Video

Ok, im watchign this video over and over again trying to figure out what happend here. There was no outside interference and it was a relatively straight road, so why did this guy fishtale and fall over? Anyone have any idea?

http://www.thetartcart.com/videos/watch.asp?Media=1116
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 06:50 AM

The fishtail was because he locked the rear wheel. It looks to me like the skid was intentional but the fall wasn't. You can see rubber on the road where they'd been doing burnouts and the fact that they were taping the approach is a clue. I think he probably planned on sliding up to the camera and coming to a stop with the bike sideways, just like he used to do on his Huffy. Instead he got a cool little mini highside and a not so mini repair bill. Awesome.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

That makes a lot of sense. I couldnt put my finger on why he would slide like that for no reason.. turns out the reason is stupidity

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bryanin1
turns out the reason is stupidity
If that's your take on it, that's cool. It's hard to not look stupid when you put your bike down 'cause you were screwing around. But some people think the fun they have "stunting" is worth the risk. You have to pay to play and sometimes you lose. Luckily, I did most of my learning on dirt bikes, and the fact that old age has curbed my appetite (a little), otherwise you'd probably be watching vids of me being a skin donor.

One of my favorite quotes when I was younger went something like, "Pain is temporary, glory is eternal. Broken bones heal and chicks dig scars." They left out the part about the pain coming back to kick your ass on a daily basis when you get older! I still wouldn't change a thing (OK, maybe just a couple things).

I understand how some people see this kind of thing as stupid but I also understand why some people feel the need to engage in such "stupidity". To each his own. It's all good.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 10:18 AM

Paging Jab:

Is it possible to pull the stunt this guy was trying to?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 11:15 AM

I love to see twits screw up. In my humble days it was dirt comp or practicing & prangs were not intential. Fortunately the few that owned 8mm B&W movie cameras were to far away.

Humanzee I did like that bit being the part about "-- the pain coming back to kick your ass on a daily basis when you get older!--" for like you I can feel the same. Still I was never trying to show off like these jerks.

Yes you could pull off that stop Vash especially in the days of Brit irons of 350 to 500cc of basically singles with some vertical twins. To chaps cutting neat doenuts but then better rider would cut neat eights. Bill Wilson & I use to compete the eights on the dirt with a challenge of how many we could do before dropping our bikes. He used his 350 BSA single & I would use an old 350cc Royal Enfield. That was back around '49 & Wilson use to come up to a group of riders & put on the same stunt of stopping like in skates---------being the one the chap was trying. Only Wilson was a prefectionist & never lost control.

Last edited by Smitty; 03-24-2006 at 11:17 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 01:07 PM

Hi All-

The poor edit on the video also makes it difficult to see everything leading up to the crash. Not worth it, IMHO.

~ Blue Jays ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode