Sure, you can take your knife to school! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Sure, you can take your knife to school!

Quote:
Court allows Sikh knife in school

Canada's Supreme Court gave the green light today for the kirpan, a small knife that has religious significance to Sikhs, to be carried in public schools.

It overruled a 2004 Quebec appeals court decision barring the kirpan, which the high court said was a blow to freedom of religion.

The case began in 2001 when 12-year-old Gurbaj Multani allowed the kirpan knife to be seen outside his school in Montreal. School rules forbid students from carrying weapons.

"The council of commissioners' decision prohibiting G from wearing his kirpan to school infringes his freedom of religion," terms of the ruling said.

And "the interference with G's freedom of religion is neither trivial nor insignificant, as it has deprived him of his right to attend a public school".

"Lastly, the argument that the wearing of kirpans should be prohibited because the kirpan is a symbol of violence and because it sends the message that using force is necessary to assert rights and resolve conflict is not only contradicted by the evidence regarding the symbolic nature of the kirpan, but is also disrespectful to believers in the Sikh religion and does not take into account Canadian values based on multiculturalism," it said.

"Religious tolerance is a very important value of Canadian society," the ruling said.

"If some students consider it unfair that G may wear his kirpan to school while they are not allowed to have knives in their possession, it is incumbent on the schools to discharge their obligation to instil in their students this value that is at the very foundation of our democracy," it said.

"A total prohibition against wearing a kirpan to school undermines the value of this religious symbol and sends students the message that some religious practices do not merit the same protection as others."
"It overruled a 2004 Quebec appeals court decision barring the kirpan, which the high court said was a blow to freedom of religion."

I thought religion had no place in public schools????

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 12:45 PM

Does tend to make a normal Cdn to even a ruddy Aussie to question what the 'ell is going on in Cdn.

Some Sikhs lawyer was explaining how important this is to them & their religion. Also pointing out that it is woren UNDER their clothing & a dull blade. I noted it was under his dress jacket, though strap, from his right shoulder (this is also a way to point out you have such a knive does it not?????) exposed it on his shirt from right shoulder, for you could see the strap going across to the left side, sort of like a cross draw holster. being to the left for his strong arm draw. Also the kid said it once fell out, accidently, on the school grounds. He to was wearing it, but EXPOSED & not under his clothing plus when drawen to show it that was not with a DULL blade.

It is these Sikhs that blew up a large aircraft with Cdn citizens in it over the Atlantic ocean close to Ireland, also the some ones that had a bomb go off killing two Japanese baggage handlers & all becuase of a delay & so it was not in another transport aircraft killing all in it as well.

They are still carrying on their war with other Eastern Indians & a few yrs ago the Minister of Trade was in Victoria B.C., Cdn & decided to spend a few days & make it a holiday in driving around to look at the mtns & such only the Sikhs knew his desination & hit him on a road with firepower from several guns. So my question is why are they living here in Cdn if they are still at war in their own country or at war with other Indians here in Cdn & many of them now being Cdn citizens??????

These are the people we are to respect? Their also are the Sikhs of the old belief & those with the new ways, (meaning some still believe you should be on the foor when eating & the more modern ones feel it willl be okay to sit on chairs & eat from tables------like they can be this crazie???) so each time there is voting of who will run their Mosk, or however it is spelled, the RCMP need to call in a maze of Constable to stop them from fighting amongst each other.

Pity the RCMP would not attend the above to help them from each hurting each other for they could have an on going battle dull or sharp knife or whatever they want to call it.

Last edited by Smitty; 03-02-2006 at 12:52 PM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 12:56 PM

We all know that you dare not be on a transport aircraft with a knife, nail clippers, or universal pliers or whatever they want to call them & such. NOW said Sikhs will demand the right for them to be on said aircraft with said knives & if so then Americans with CCW should ALSO be allowed on the aircraft for in the Bill of Rights they are allowed to CCW a h/gun or any firearm. Possibly some would prefer to carry a sawed-off shotgun?????????

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 02:13 PM

Next headline: Towel head stamps muhammed on AK...

Thinking back I was pissed when we couldn't wear our "big johnson" shirts to school. Today's kids are crying cause they can't take weapons to school.

Hey, don't like state/federal laws? Don't go to public school then.

Whiny ass bitchs.

-M-
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 03:39 PM

I'm giving Johnny a broad sword to take to school. After all it's shaped like a cross isn't it? I'm really surprised "we" as people have made it this far. Next thing ya know they'll let you get a drivers license pic wearing a vail! Truth really is stranger than fiction!

I member when I went to school I always carried a pocket knife. But that's a different story and a different time.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 04:12 PM

Like so many others I to carried a pocket knife to school & with me whenever I stepped out of my home, for it was tradition so in reality we could say that we should be able to carry a pocket knife or a lock open blade knife as it has been part of our life.

Like the Govt as going to demand that our Lee Enfield & the Garand rifle be cought down to just a five shot magazine, but we pointed out the Lee Enfield had been used from WWI, WWII, & Korean Wars to save the lives of fellow Cdns while the Garand rifle was used in WWII & Korean War. So they were not & do not have to be changed!!!!!!!!!.

Pocket knives were carried by our grandfathers or even older. Besides every war vet carried a fixed blade knife sheathed or at the end of the rifle & so the baynot. Now no one can carry a knife to school nor can you carry it on an commercial aircraft or if in a Govt felt this was a dangerous place if you were searched & found with a knife it would be confinscated & good chance you would end up in the clanger, but not so with the Sikhs. Remember that the Sikhs have not lived in Cdn untill around the '50s.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 05:17 PM

Politicians are idiots. They seem to try to keep everyone happy, like that would ever happen, and not think things though. Sure lets take knives to school... Handgun with a cross on it? Have at it... Plastic explosive that has the face of the virgin mary on it? What the hell have at it. The only way to treat all religious and political groups equally is to treat them all like shit

I attached a picture of a Kirpan for anyone who doesn't know what one is. They range on average from 6-12 inches long. And yes they are sharp.

Stupid Canadian laws... take a lesson from the U.S. and arrest kids for bringing nail clippers to school

Sepias
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kirpan.jpg (5.4 KB, 97 views)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 05:53 PM

Hi All-

Please don't confuse Sikhs with Muslims when making posts in this thread. They're worlds apart from one another.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 09:18 PM

I went to school in the 1950s and 60s, graduating from high school in '65. Use of drugs like pot and meth was extremely rare, maybe once every couple of years someone was busted. We all carried knives and kept guns in our cars to go shooting after school. The more drugs came on the scene the wierder things got. I don't know for sure but I suspect the rampant use of drugs combined with our weak-willed make excuses society has got us to where we are now.

These are Ronald Reagan quotes who is a very typical of the "can do" attitude of his generation:

Here's my strategy on the Cold War: We win, they lose."

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so."

"Of the four wars in my lifetime none came about because the U.S. was too strong."

"I have wondered at times about what the Ten Commandment's would have looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress."

The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination."

"Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under."

"The nearest thing to eternal life we will ever see on this earth is a government program."

"I've laid down the law, though, to everyone from now on about anything that happens: no matter what time it is, wake me, even if it's in the middle of a Cabinet meeting."

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first."

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

"Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book."

"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Jays
Hi All-

Please don't confuse Sikhs with Muslims when making posts in this thread. They're worlds apart from one another.

~ Blue Jays ~

Not confusing them, just saying there's another idea for Rasheed.

-M-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode