Make sure your hand's on the right "barrel". - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Talking Make sure your hand's on the right "barrel".

Quote:
Man has gun accident in toilet

Police in a Vancouver suburb reminded residents it was not a good idea to play with a loaded gun while using the bathroom, after a man accidentally shot himself.

A 21-year-old North Vancouver man was facing numerous weapons charges after he shot off one of his fingers while apparently playing with a gun on New Year's Day, according to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

"Perhaps, our mothers never explained to us that it was not a good idea to play with handguns whilst using the restroom. But then again, maybe that was supposed to be a given," the Mounties said.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 02:29 PM

At least it was his finger...

-M-
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mstrand_68
At least it was his finger...

-M-
Good point. Hadn't even thought of that!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 05:20 PM

Darn it mstrand_68 for you beat me to the words. You know when they first put Bill C-68 into effect (not the brain fart of our King Paul Martin to Ban Handguns if he is voted back into power in Jan 23rd). There were a MAZE of wrong plannings/laws in so called safety.

Like your ATT to take your gun(s) to your range & back home again was often so small that it was often out of reach. We corrected that to "Any certified range in the (being the Province) Province". Also they tried to nail us down to the exact days & hours---we changed that to "Any day of the year & any 24 hrs of any dayof said year". That we could not give a gun away as a gift, but we could RENT (!!!!!!) a h/gun(?????). Along with so many errors in the Cdn Firearm Safety Course Book that there were continual changes, due to found errors, to where finally they came up with TWO books with less errors only they too have some errors.

Also you could NOT chamber a rnd into the gun when at home. Guess they were right in the case of this dim-witt. Though when reloading every once in a while I want to champer the revolver to see they drop into the cylinder with ease or that in a semi-auto they will go forward once the slide closes. If not then I must look at many things in my very latest reloading to correct the error.

Another that bugged me, was that you had to lock them up immediately in what they accepted as "Safe Storage" as soon as you were home. Only that time, evening or day might be when I wanted to clean my guns or possibly make a small correction or two. Which might require most of the day. WE changed that to as long as you were home the guns did not have to be locked up in said "Safe Storage". Like it was endless in their breaking the law things said old retired Principals of schools, or old lawyers & whoever else they hired to dream up said laws WHEN in so many cases they knew basically beans all about f/arms.

The people the Govt hire are often lost in another world. Back around '58 the RCMP seized a collector of bullets. Could not figure out what some where & had this one locked down a a 30-06 by Winchester though with possibly a metal piercing bullet tip or possibly a tracer round. In comes a Cdn hunter/target shooter & ex-vet to sum up the quiestionable ones. That 30-06 was a Winchester Silver-Tip so commonly sold back in the 50s to possibly now. Obviously a popular round sold in sport shops at the very time.

Last edited by Smitty; 01-03-2006 at 05:31 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 05:49 PM

Hi All-

It's so easy NOT to get hurt with firearms by following a few simple rules:
  • Always keep the firearm muzzle pointed in a safe direction
  • Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot
  • Keep firearm unloaded until prepared for use
  • Always know your target and what is beyond
~ Blue Jays ~
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 12:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Jays
Hi All-

Always keep the firearm muzzle pointed in a safe direction[*]Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot[*]Keep firearm unloaded until prepared for use[*]Always know your target and what is beyond[/list]~ Blue Jays ~
What would be the safe direction when taking a wizz?
And what's the point of carrying an unloaded handgun? I can see not having one in the chamber, but if it's unloaded all together you may as well carry a rock.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 01:05 PM

Hi Tippmann-

The proper location for a sidearm when using the bathroom is holstered with fingers not engaging the trigger. If one must sit on the toilet, some folks prefer to remove their belt and hang the holstered firearm around their neck so it isn't accidentally forgotten in the stall. Believe it or not, this silly mistake has happened to people.

If the firearm is being carried, it is obviously in use and would therefore be loaded. If one has a large firearms collection in his or her safe, those weapons shoudn't be loaded. The only ones that should be loaded would be the ones currently "on duty" for home defense.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 01:59 PM

You are 100% correct Blue Jays. On a number of occasions some female police officers have had their service semi-auto go off in the washrooms of a public washroom, but no shooting the finger off or anything of danger bar a hole in a wall or a 7-years of bad luck in hitting the mirror.

I was over to a friend's place that was having some problems with reloading. Seems he was belling the brass to much, this I found out when I checked his dies, & had frightened himself beyond belief when struggling to rack back the slide to remove a jammed 45 it went off in his room. No one was hurt & said rnd went into the wall of the basement. Still I was only an hr or so after said AD & the bedroom now changed into a storarge & reloading room, simply reeked of powder of said LIGHT load & told me that smell was there even a day or two later.

That would make the women's public bathrooms smell a bit different & those not knowing what went on, might be wondering what lousy perfume some woman must have on her & why such a lousy choice. Even if it was the normal 9mm as the police carry 9mm loads with heavier loads, of poweder, then we do for our indoor ranges of our 45s or 9mm reloads.

Last edited by Smitty; 01-05-2006 at 12:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode