Would you buy DVD's of local events? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Would you buy DVD's of local events?

OK... here goes...

I am buying a high-end camcorder to make independent films with, and I am looking for a way to finance the movies (added camcorders, tape, lighting, sound, exc). One of the ideas I had was to film local events such as drag racing, SCCA races, road racing, car shows, stereo competitions, exc.

My question is this... If there was a website in which you could buy DVD's of local events like that in your area for about $10-$15 a DVD, would you buy one? (or is this just a horrible idea?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

4 views and no answers?!? There should be four answers! lol this is a hypothetical question.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 08:23 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
I think it's a good idea, but I think it'd be hard to make money on since it'd be such a niche market. If you're doing it just as a hobby and don't care if you just break even, then go for it. You'd have to promote the hell out of the website (and assume everyone would take the time to log on, browse, etc.), it may be easier to just sell the stuff at the events so people can see it right there. Talk to the organizers about setting up a stand or something (though that would likely be more costs). It would get your name out faster.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 08:37 AM

I think you would have much better luck selling them at the site. At the very least give out buisness cards like mad out there..

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

If I do this, I will be selling both on-site, and on a website. It's not going to be a full time job, just a way to try to recoop some of the costs of various things, like tape.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 08:44 AM

Well photographers keep showing up at track days, which mean they keep on making money... I dont see how this is any different. Also you may find yourself having to charge more money per copy...

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 08:57 AM

I will let you know my success I have about 20 hrs of stunt film from several shows staring** Verticle outlaws; Joe Dryden; Jacob and Aaron Brunell ect. I am putting together a video of several shows with some cool shots intro's etc. The plan is to sell it for $10-15 bucks a pop, at local stunt shows, motorcycle shops and online. I figure I will have about 30-50hrs of work in it and about $500-$750... the yeild is expected to be 1000 finished sealed and labeled DVD's.

Do the math if I sell half of them at even $10 that's a minimum profit of $4250 less my own time.

Not bad... If i sell them all at $15 that pays for my new ZX10

Take the risk even if everyone says it won't work, they don't know you have to make it happen... your future and dreams are only in your hands. If you love it DO IT.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mainerdr
I will let you know my success I have about 20 hrs of stunt film from several shows staring** Verticle outlaws; Joe Dryden; Jacob and Aaron Brunell ect. I am putting together a video of several shows with some cool shots intro's etc. The plan is to sell it for $10-15 bucks a pop, at local stunt shows, motorcycle shops and online. I figure I will have about 30-50hrs of work in it and about $500-$750... the yeild is expected to be 1000 finished sealed and labeled DVD's.

Do the math if I sell half of them at even $10 that's a minimum profit of $4250 less my own time.

Not bad... If i sell them all at $15 that pays for my new ZX10

Take the risk even if everyone says it won't work, they don't know you have to make it happen... your future and dreams are only in your hands. If you love it DO IT.

What type of camcorder are you using? I'm not talking home-video style DVD's, I am talking shooting with a $3,999 professional camcorder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode