Dogs??? Help! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 154 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Dogs??? Help!

As some of you may already know, I'm getting a house (Yey for me). Anywho, with a house comes a dog right? Well I think so anyway.

The thing is, I hate dogs that are overly friendly. They are predators damn it, not couch pets. I'm not looking for a mean pit bull that will eat the neighbours kids, but I'm also not looking for the sort of dog that runs up to strangers to get petted. I like the "What are you doing in my house? You can stay, but god help you if you make the wrong move toward my human" sort of attitude.
In addition it would be really cool, if it was a BIG dog. Not like lab big, but like saint bernard big.

Problems.
1. The house does not have a very big back yard. It isnt pittifully small, but its no ranch.
2. It get hot here. Real hot. So long haired dogs are going to be misserable.

Oh, I'm not against an indoor dog.. Just keep of the damn couches.

Anywho is there a bread thats pretty damn big, preferably short haired, and is pretty relaxed, as in doesnt need to run around all over the place?
So far I had a few suggestions
1. German shephard. Those dogs rock. My rents had two, and I loved them. Loyal, to the point, no BS dogs. They can get pretty big too. But there is no way to tell if the puppy I get is going to be huge or not. They are pretty relaxed, and dont seem to mind living indoors, so long as they get regular exercise.. which it will. But its not going to be happy come summer time.. time to get some clippers.
2. Great Dane. Now there is a dog. Never been around too many of them, but they look awsome. I'm told they dont require too much space, so long as they get regular exercise.. Dont know about that.. thats why I'm asking.
3. Labs. Once again, labradors are awsome. Smart, buitifull dogs. Some of them get big, but not all the time.
4. Rhotwhiler (sp?) Also big, scary looking, but very loving and loyal dogs..

So any info, suggestions, things to watch out for? Help me out guys, I know there are a few dog lovers among ya.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 154 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 02:07 PM

I have the answer!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dog.jpg (33.2 KB, 355 views)
post #3 of 154 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 02:09 PM

No, seriously, boxers are fairly big dogs, are fairly protective, a friend has two of them, i think they are cool dogs!

post #4 of 154 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 03:09 PM

So, what's wrong with the little dog that has the bow on...I think it's a perfect addition to a new house

Maybe you two could get matching sweaters to wear in the winter too...
post #5 of 154 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 06:24 PM

Doberman Pinscher. Very loving to family, smart and trainable, doesn't shed like a German shepard, no tail to knock your drink off the coffee table. The ultimate home security device and personal companion. Our Doberman was actually my wifes when we met. Now I love her more than the wife! Well, maybe. Along with aggressive breeds comes responsibilty but I can assure you Zada wouldn't hurt a soul, (cat, baby, etc.) unless they deserve it. Check out my gallery!
post #6 of 154 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 06:25 PM

By the way, Dobermans don't slobber like Rotts, Boxers and Great Danes.
post #7 of 154 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 11:49 AM

Re: Dogs??? Help!

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
...But there is no way to tell if the puppy I get is going to be huge or not...
While certain breeds will be naturally big, you can generally tell if a pup is going to be big by the size of its feet. No, seriously. Also, view its parents.

If you want a no-nonsense dog, have it trained. I've heard of places that will train your dog for you, then bring you in to teach you how to handle it.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 154 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 01:27 PM

I've had dogs most of my life, but when these (2 Boarder Collies)
are gone, I'm going to go without for awhile. If you like to ride and/or travel they can be a pain when it comes to taking care of them. Don't forget once ya get one you're committed for 10-20 years.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #9 of 154 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mac020
...If you like to ride and/or travel they can be a pain when it comes to taking care of them...
I plan on teaching mine to ride with me.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #10 of 154 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
I plan on teaching mine to ride with me.
Hope it's a small dog. Look pretty funny with you, your wife and a 150 pound Rot doing a wheelie on a 400 pound sportbike.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode