Port scanning - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Port scanning

[RANT]Man my fire's lit. I just realized that a site I visit is doing a port scan on every visitor to it. While the average Joe doesn't understand the implication, I'll paint you a picture.

People who want to crack into other people's computers figure out which ones they want to attack by initially doing a port scan. In industry this is widely seen as an attack, regardless of the reasons, if the user hasn't given their express permission. Since you have to visit the site to see any warning about this, the admin's effectively taken the "I'm the Almighty" angle. People have been fired and lawsuits have been brought against such individuals before. Anyway, his cover is that they're "checking for proxy servers". Nice idea, but impractical in reality. You can detect these if you check your firewall logs.

Guess I won't ever be going back. Worst of all, I know this Admin's the type who wouldn't hesitate to plant a nice keylogger or other attack on anyone's computer.[/RANT]

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Here's a street-level description of what port scans amount to:
Quote:
There are many analogues to the physical world that attempt to explain the ethical implications of port scans. Some describe port scans as "going around in a parking lot checking cars to see if the doors are unlocked," and "checking each door in a neighborhood to see who is home." I want you to (a) create your own analogue to port scanning that captures the ethical essence of the activity, (b) describe the ethical issues you address by your analogue, and (c) describe how your analogue accurately explains the ethical aspects of port scanning to a lay person. Use the analog to show how California Code section 502 and the RUP is applied/misapplied to port scans.
Thanks Cal Poly!

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 02:22 PM

If I could be permitted a stupid question, what's the worst that could happen?

Someone 'gaining control of your system', as they say on the Microsoft website? A total catastrophic hack, resulting in a forced format?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 04:04 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Care to share what site it is so that we can not stay away from it?

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
If I could be permitted a stupid question, what's the worst that could happen?

Someone 'gaining control of your system', as they say on the Microsoft website? A total catastrophic hack, resulting in a forced format?
How about a stolen identity in the REAL world? How about emptying of your accounts?

People have all kinds of information on their computers.

EDIT: Other thoughts. Computing is in a its growth period for the judiciary. It has not been determined who's at fault for crimes committed through other people's computers. Or with other people's electronic credentials. And, it is the basis for SPAM and denial of service attacks, which means law enforcement gets involved.

Last edited by kanwisch; 03-01-2005 at 04:50 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jester
Care to share what site it is so that we can not stay away from it?
Actually, there's an interesting dichotomy to doing this. I've been here before with another site and opted to not list the site for (experienced) fear it would only draw attention to the perpetrator.

Gee, that's pretty hypocritical, huh? Bitch about it but not be specific? Maybe I'll just blow this threadaway. I suck I'll sleep on it.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
How about a stolen identity in the REAL world? How about emptying of your accounts?

People have all kinds of information on their computers.

This is why I never conduct business over the net. Online ordering and banking just hasn't been around long enough to inspire any confidence in the average user.

They look at me like I'm a fool when I go into the bank and refuse their pitch for online banking. Foolish like a fox, bwahaha.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 05:05 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Actually, there's an interesting dichotomy to doing this. I've been here before with another site and opted to not list the site for (experienced) fear it would only draw attention to the perpetrator.

Gee, that's pretty hypocritical, huh? Bitch about it but not be specific? Maybe I'll just blow this threadaway. I suck I'll sleep on it.
Do I have some idea of who/where this is?

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh
Do I have some idea of who/where this is?
Actually, no. That's a can of worms I'll never re-open. But you've heard of the site.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 05:12 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Actually, no. That's a can of worms I'll never re-open. But you've heard of the site.
You know, for some reason I really wasn't thinking of the site/admin you and I had trouble with. I was actually referring to the....uhhh....affiliated sites?

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode