Laptop Recommendations? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Question Laptop Recommendations?

I'm in the market for a new laptop. Though I'm proficient in the use of most computers, I know little about modern specs/features and am not sure exactly what I need in a laptop.

I need to run Windows XP (for Word, Excel, Explorer)

I need a highspeed wireless internet connection. Should I use a wireless airport or WiFi?

The computer will be used mostly for work... documents and spreadsheets, internet surfing and Email, and maybe downloading/playing music and movies (for work, of course).

I don't need the biggest baddest laptop on the market, but I understand that laptops don't lend themselves to upgrades like a PC so I don't want to buy the wrong one. I really appreciate everybody's help with this.

ps - no iBooks, please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 04:57 PM

Dude..yer gettin' a Dell.

Sorry for saying that.

But really, Dell gives you the most for your dollar. Gateway is too expensive, HP is garbage, Compaq is even worse....I would honestly go with Dell.

Please please please since you will be using it for work and will have a wireless card....for the love of god, turn on your WEP please. Work Documents + unencrypted wireless = disaster.

The new Mobile processors are out of this world. Just because it says 1.4 or 1.6 GHz, don't let it fool you. Those are beasts.

--There is a wrong way to eat a Reese's, and I will find it.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 05:04 PM

I have had HP and Compaq desktops in the past. They are TOTAL CRAP. I can only assume this transfers to their other product lines as well.

My Dad runs a Dell desktop, and it seems invincible. He knows nothing about maintenance (never defrags, always leaves it on, frequently downloads risky 3rd party programs, etc), and it never seems to die.

You're right about the not lending themselves to upgrades, slaintedan. They have a whole different standard of construction, so it's generally best to get what you want up-front.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 05:10 PM

I just bought a dell notebook. I got the 8600.....yeah I know its big but I figured I got the most for my money. It came out to 1384 about.

It should be here on sat or mon.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

I couldn't agree more with you guys about HP and Compaq...total crap. I've had good experiences with Dell and Gateway PCs, but haven't used either company's laptops.

Dell was the first place I looked when I started shopping. I'd really like to talk to somebody who has the Inspiron laptop or the Latitude notebook.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Stillon2Wheels
I just bought a dell notebook. I got the 8600.....yeah I know its big but I figured I got the most for my money. It came out to 1384 about.

It should be here on sat or mon.
That's the one I've been looking at most. Did you get any upgrades?
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by slaintedan
I couldn't agree more with you guys about HP and Compaq...total crap. I've had good experiences with Dell and Gateway PCs, but haven't used either company's laptops.

Dell was the first place I looked when I started shopping. I'd really like to talk to somebody who has the Inspiron laptop or the Latitude notebook.

My dad also bought one a couple months ago. He loves it. He uses it for basic functions, word, excel, outlook. He got the 600m. Other than that I really haven't heard of a major problem with dell notebooks. My friend owns a computer tech company, all he sees come through is gateway, and HP. the only time he has seen a dell is when he orders one from a customer.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by slaintedan
That's the one I've been looking at most. Did you get any upgrades?
yeah I got the WUXGA screen, upgraded to 512MB RAM, the 24x cdrw/dvd combo drive. Windows xp. & A 60GB HDD.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Stillon2Wheels
yeah I got the WUXGA screen, upgraded to 512MB RAM, the 24x cdrw/dvd combo drive. Windows xp. & A 60GB HDD.
You didn't upgrade the wireless internet connection?
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 05:38 PM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Not sure why everyone seems to hate Compaq, I'm running a 3 year old Armada M700 which is pretty much bulletproof. Probably the best computer I've used.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode