What do you think about this impact wrench? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

What do you think about this impact wrench?

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...ab=des#tablink

Is this one anygood? would you buy it? and where can i get sockets from? would you get deep regular or both? Remember they can get expensive. Thanks

2002 B&W GSX-R 750,Graves Full Ti System, PC 3 R,TRE "Switchable",CR9EIX Iridium, Galfer SS brake lines,Framesliders, L&P Intergrator kit, L&P front flush mounts,ZG DB smoked screen,86Z28 redone from the ground up and worked, Ready for road racing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

btt

2002 B&W GSX-R 750,Graves Full Ti System, PC 3 R,TRE "Switchable",CR9EIX Iridium, Galfer SS brake lines,Framesliders, L&P Intergrator kit, L&P front flush mounts,ZG DB smoked screen,86Z28 redone from the ground up and worked, Ready for road racing.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 11:55 PM

I have a Craftsman 1/2 " impact wrench, but it is about 20 years old (I bought it new) and that was when they were Japanese made, i.e., the "good stuff". I'd want to know where that one is made. If China, I'd look around to see if you can find one made in USA or Japan.

I have regular and deep sockets. If you can afford only one set then get regular depth. One thing I'd be worried about is the minimum torque of 50 lbs. Not sure about mine but you need to be careful if you are going to use it on motorcycles. I do not use a torque wrench on my bikes except on stuck nuts and bolts, and only to remove it, and only with the bare minimum torque applied.

If you are not using this on cars then try to get one that is 3/8" drive instead, although the 1/2 inch drives are more ubiquitous an can be purchased for less money.

Another question is whether your compressor can supply the air necessary for using this tool.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 05:37 AM

Fuster, I couldn't have said it better myself. ;-)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 06:49 AM

That Craftsman is made by IR. It's a very good impact gun. Small, light and reasonably powerful. I have one and like it immensely.

The sockets you can get from just about anywhere. Sometimes the best impact sockets are the cheap no-names you find on sale at the last place you would expect to find selling tools. Generally as long as the sockets are impact rated you're good to go.

I wouldn't recommend it to be used on a bike, except for a countershaft sprocket nut. It's overkill for just about everything else.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 07:22 PM

www.thetoolwarehouse.net has great prices and no shipping charges on qualifying orders. I buy a lot of tools from them. Check it out. They sell IR products along with a bunch of other name brands (KD, etc.).

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 06:19 PM

It's looks ok. I got one from Sears (not as nice as that one) and i broke it they replaced it for free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode