Off topic - myopia of media to popular US celebrities - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Off topic - myopia of media to popular US celebrities

I received this email from my friend, and I think it was written directly by him. I think he makes a pretty darn good point of the myopia, or single focus on "defined celebrities" in the US.

Quote:
when something like this happens, and it is second-third-fourth... page news! I usually don't send out e-mail like this, but I'm really upset that our news seems to be more and more filtered to what the US media 'thinks' we need to know. For the first couple days of this disaster, it was in fact not a huge story (at least up here), but it was clearly a catastrophe of epic proportions. The media quickly (a couple days after) realized that this was in fact important, and thus the 24hr coverage now, but when I see stories like this (just by stumbling on the news because of my own personal interests), I cant help but get upset by who/how our news is filtered to us. If this was someone like Madonna, or Donald Trump, we would not hear the end of it!!

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SPORT/01/04/tsunami.relief/

This guy gave $10,000,000 cash to the tsunami relief and it is barely covered by any US press. We see when Sandra Bullock gives one-tenth that, or if Bono is going to do a free concert to raise a couple houndred thousand $'s, but this guy cuts a check for $10M and no one west of the Atlantic seems to think it is newsworthy. The only article I see from a US journalist also goes on to say how the NBA and NFL are collecting money at games for the tsunami relief (NOT THE Players OF COURSE, BUT THEY ARE COLLECTING FROM THE FANS!!!) Nice. So the next time anyone thinks that these guys are just no-brains who drive cars in circles and dont think they are really athletes, think at least about this. He just donated more than The President of the United States was willing to give a few days ago, more than any other single individual in the world, and more than the so called 'athletes' we hear about everyday (combined). I hope this can be a wake up call to the wealthy in this country to step up, shut up and help.
Hooray for Michael Schumacher. He has always been a fantastic ambassador to the world for Formula One racing. I just wish the rest of the world would wake up and pay attention to these guys, if not for their self-importance then as encouragement for other wealthy individuals to do the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 07:34 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Thread moved to Off Topic forum.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 10:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
I still hate all types of car racing. But that is a pretty nice chunk of change he sent over. Good job dude

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Dad

The Waltons could get together and cut one of their several billions to the region. Call it employee gratitude day. Many of their dollars are directly off the backs of folks in that region.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 05:13 PM

This is not a time when one wants all to stand up a bow to you for what you have done or how much you have donated.

The others are front page stuff anyway & let us hope more of the front page stars will kick in more money donations.

I was seening a bit of the CBC-TV of how kids have got togeather & rounded up money this way & that way. Good possibility others have done far better & not been on TV or even recognized.

At the same program one 8 yr old in a school class stood up & said how he was donating $20.00 & hoped others would follow.

The next minute is another kid of the same age & looked like a different school saying he would be giving $40.00 of his monthly allowance. Slight difference I think. In my thinking I do not feel the kid about to hand out $40.00 was handing out ALL of his allowance so had to wonder what did this rich 8 yr old get each month?

Then went back to when I was 8 yrs of age & my allowance was 25 cents a week so monthly it totalled $1.00. That being back in '38 during the depression.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 04:01 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Does anyone else get the feeling that there is some kind of sick competition about who can donate the most money in all of this?

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh
Does anyone else get the feeling that there is some kind of sick competition about who can donate the most money in all of this?
Was thinking the exact same thing as you, but didn't want to say anything.

I think that Bono is going to wait for mostly everyone to stop donating, and when they do, he's going to donate 10 times what they did and make a huge media frenzy about it. I despise that man with a passion.

--There is a wrong way to eat a Reese's, and I will find it.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 05:45 AM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by Slip-On
Was thinking the exact same thing as you, but didn't want to say anything.

I think that Bono is going to wait for mostly everyone to stop donating, and when they do, he's going to donate 10 times what they did and make a huge media frenzy about it. I despise that man with a passion.
I never knew much about Bono and am not sure I have ever even heard his music so it's safe to say I'm not a fan. On the other hand, what I do know of him came from a few interviews on shows like Charlie Rose and Paul O'Neill's story of his trip with Bono to Southern Africa. It was a challenge made, of sorts, by Bono and accepted by O'Neill, to visit and see the conditions first hand. Before it was over O'Neill had a whole new respect for Bono's knowledge and understanding of the problems, needs, and solutions of the region. He apparently has lived the deal, his efforts are very real and unselfish, and he invests real time and effort into what he does. O'Neill admitted he thought he knew what was going on there and that Bono was just another mouthy rock star until Bono dragged him around the countryside and gave him a set of brains about the realities and how little it would really take to make a MAJOR difference in those folks lives. One of the main ones was as simple as safe drinking water. O'Neill, as Sec. of Treasury, overstepped his authority by agreeing that for the small amounts needed, it was a no-brainer and that he would get right on it when he got back to Washington. Well.... that was probably involved in his demise with the apple of my eye, fruit of my loom, GW Bush and Company. GOD, I hate that man. He strains my Christian belief in forgiveness and tolerance, something I may have to beg for as a result of those emotions.

It is a shame when hardships like that are used for grandstanding but I'm not always sure who gets the blame, them or the media. In different instances it can be both. Also, it IS a chance to get some attention for causes that aren't as spectacular but just as devastating to millions of people in the world. What about the folks of the region who are living in abject poverty while working every day, making products that we buy, especially clothing, and unable to properly feed or get medical attention for their own kids? What about the folks in THIS country, suffering the same problems because their jobs were sent over there, to exploit them? A good opportunity for this country to do some soul searching on many levels. Exhibit some of those Christian values we are so willing to cry out from the mountaintop, for all to see.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

Last edited by Dad; 01-06-2005 at 05:50 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dad
I never knew much about Bono and am not sure I have ever even heard his music so it's safe to say I'm not a fan. On the other hand, what I do know of him came from a few interviews on shows like Charlie Rose and Paul O'Neill's story of his trip with Bono to Southern Africa. It was a challenge made, of sorts, by Bono and accepted by O'Neill, to visit and see the conditions first hand. Before it was over O'Neill had a whole new respect for Bono's knowledge and understanding of the problems, needs, and solutions of the region. He apparently has lived the deal, his efforts are very real and unselfish, and he invests real time and effort into what he does. O'Neill admitted he thought he knew what was going on there and that Bono was just another mouthy rock star until Bono dragged him around the countryside and gave him a set of brains about the realities and how little it would really take to make a MAJOR difference in those folks lives. One of the main ones was as simple as safe drinking water. O'Neill, as Sec. of Treasury, overstepped his authority by agreeing that for the small amounts needed, it was a no-brainer and that he would get right on it when he got back to Washington. Well.... that was probably involved in his demise with the apple of my eye, fruit of my loom, GW Bush and Company. GOD, I hate that man. He strains my Christian belief in forgiveness and tolerance, something I may have to beg for as a result of those emotions.

It is a shame when hardships like that are used for grandstanding but I'm not always sure who gets the blame, them or the media. In different instances it can be both. Also, it IS a chance to get some attention for causes that aren't as spectacular but just as devastating to millions of people in the world. What about the folks of the region who are living in abject poverty while working every day, making products that we buy, especially clothing, and unable to properly feed or get medical attention for their own kids? What about the folks in THIS country, suffering the same problems because their jobs were sent over there, to exploit them? A good opportunity for this country to do some soul searching on many levels. Exhibit some of those Christian values we are so willing to cry out from the mountaintop, for all to see.
Never really knew anything about those interviews Dad. Good information.

I have to disagree with you when it comes to religion. Just MHO, religion needs to be kept out of the government. It's a shame when someone uses their religion to appear more favorable.

--There is a wrong way to eat a Reese's, and I will find it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 07:26 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Quote:
Originally posted by Slip-On
Never really knew anything about those interviews Dad. Good information.

I have to disagree with you when it comes to religion. Just MHO, religion needs to be kept out of the government. It's a shame when someone uses their religion to appear more favorable.
The forgotten commandment:

"Keep thy God to thine own damned self."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode