At my old company, we did that twice, to two different guys. One guy had gone to Singapore for about 3 weeks. It was Halloween when he came back. Being gone for 3 weeks, the "cobwebs" had completely taken over his cubicle. The similar image would be the scene in Lord Of the Rings (Return of the King) where Frodo goes into the cave and gets himself caught and tangled in giant spider webs. I think it took him about a week to clean up his cube after he came back.
Another guy had gone out on training for a week. We wanted to see how good his troubleshooting skills were, so if I remember correctly, we did the following.
- for the most obvious ("Ah, it's just the power cable"), we unplugged his monitor cable
- opened up his PC and disconnected the ATX power connector.
- Turned off all his on-board peripherals
- Removed the CPU
- Reversed the Keyboard and Mouse connectors
- I remember doing a lot more, but that was about 7 years ago
Well... I guess he got pissed, so he told the manager and we all got busted. I was the lead so I took responsibility.
But it was good fun, watching him wondering what was wrong with his PC.
Was it worth it? Yup.