Indiana electoral votes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Indiana electoral votes

I compiled a bunch of information to understand some things about electoral votes in the state I currently reside. The results that I sent to a friend are below. I did this out of my annoyance at the state's perceived ultraconservativism. I suspect I would feel exactly opposite if I lived in California, but my eyes are too tired to analyze their history. Most of you probably don't care, but since I did all this work, I thought I'd share it.

In 1816, the first election for the state, James Monroe got the Indiana votes.

Others following:
James Monroe
Andrew Jackson* - Dem
Andrew Jackson* - Dem
Andrew Jackson
William Harrison
William Harrison
James Polk* - Dem
Lewis Cass* - Dem
Franklin Pierce* - Dem
James Buchanan* - Dem
Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln
Ulysses S. Grant
Ulysses S. Grant
Samuel Tilden* - Dem
James Garfield
Grover Cleveland* - Dem
Benjamin Harrison
Grover Cleveland* - Dem
William McKinley
William McKinley
Theodore Roosevelt
William Taft
Woodrow Wilson* - Dem
Charles Hughes
Warren Harding
Calvin Coolidge
Herbert Hoover
Franklin D. Roosevelt* - Dem
Franklin D. Roosevelt* - Dem
Wendell Willkie
Thomas Dewey
Thomas Dewey
Dwight Eisenhower
Dwight Eisenhower
Richard Nixon
Lyndon Johnson* - Dem
Richard Nixon
Richard Nixon
Gerald Ford
Ronald Reagan
Ronald Reagan
George Bush
George Bush
Robert Dole
George W. Bush

So, the last time the state's electoral votes went Democrat was 1964. Of the 46 elections, 13 times the Dems got the votes (28% of the time), and 32 times the Repubs (69% of the time). What's really interesting is the block of Dem voting between Polk and Buchanan. Something interesting must have been going on, but I don't know what off hand.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 10:55 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Stop bitchin' ya liberal weiner!!!

Hi kan.....

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 12:07 PM

I can't decide which group is more pathetic:

Football fans, or political fans.......

Hey, when someone worth a shit runs for a public office, call me.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 01:45 PM
S370HSSV 0773H

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevlar7R
I can't decide which group is more pathetic:

Football fans, or political fans.......

Hey, when someone worth a shit runs for a public office, call me.
You may want to look into cryogenics....it may be a while.

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh
You may want to look into cryogenics....it may be a while.

Yea, sure. Crystalized brain cells should work about as well as the brain cells of our current political leaders.

*disclaimer* I DO believe that our political system works. To quote a famous leader (but I can't remember who at the moment) "Democracy is a horrible form of government, untill you compare it to the other options."
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 01:13 AM
Dad

Re: Indiana electoral votes

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
What's really interesting is the block of Dem voting between Polk and Buchanan. Something interesting must have been going on, but I don't know what off hand.
That far back, I think you'll find the democrats were actually pretty conservative.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 04:32 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevlar7R
Yea, sure. Crystalized brain cells should work about as well as the brain cells of our current political leaders.

*disclaimer* I DO believe that our political system works. To quote a famous leader (but I can't remember who at the moment) "Democracy is a horrible form of government, untill you compare it to the other options."
Pure democracy is a terrible form of government. I would try to explain, but I think this article does a fair enough job.

http://www.tax-freedom.com/ta19007.htm

I think more and more I like the Libertarian platform. It's a shame they will never have a chance, at least not in my lifetime.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Pure democracy is a terrible form of government. I would try to explain, but I think this article does a fair enough job.

http://www.tax-freedom.com/ta19007.htm

I think more and more I like the Libertarian platform. It's a shame they will never have a chance, at least not in my lifetime.
Really? Wow, I wouldn't have taken you to be thinking that. I voted for them not to win, simply for their ideas to be assumed by the larger two.

Don't know if I posted this here already, but I'll repeat myself. Its an article discussing the USE of a vote as more than something you consider for the immediate election. After all, statistically you might as well NOT vote because you can't make any difference at all, at least in that particular election. A hard read because of its complexity, but not really long.

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Stop bitchin' ya liberal weiner!!!

Hi kan.....

I suppose Libertarians have some liberal views, so yup, I have some liberal leanings. And some conservative ones. Like ying and yang, one is illogical without the other. Don't know about that weiner part though j/k

Another impetus to the research is the strong suggestion that Bayh, a strong Democrat from Indiana is a likely candidate for '08, and I wondered when the last Dem was given the IN votes. Turns out the last guy wasn't from IN, which was interesting (several were, though).

Last edited by kanwisch; 11-04-2004 at 06:21 AM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 08:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DaDuck748
Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
After all, statistically you might as well NOT vote because you can't make any difference at all, at least in that particular election.
My head hurts.

Well, your vote NORMALLY doesn't really count unless neither candidate gets 3/5th of all electoral votes. Then they start counting individual popular votes. Just these last two elections were really close, so yeah, each vote counted.

But, what do I know?

And, no, I'm not a politics geek. Politics is SO not good for my health and well being. I just took 2 weeks out my life because of this post.

Last edited by DaDuck748; 11-05-2004 at 06:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode