Night vision goggles???? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Night vision goggles????

Anyone here have a pair???Any funny stories???
Just curious, as I have a set of the Night owl NVG1 goggles.
I have to say, they totally ROCK....You really can creep around with these things on and see where you're going. VERY powerful infrared illuminator makes it daytime in complete darkness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 02:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Re: Night vision goggles????

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmyjr
Anyone here have a pair???Any funny stories???
Just curious, as I have a set of the Night owl NVG1 goggles.
I have to say, they totally ROCK....You really can creep around with these things on and see where you're going. VERY powerful infrared illuminator makes it daytime in complete darkness.

I can't say I have them, but i bet they would be a blast. Aren't they pretty expensive?

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

That's the magic of Ebay. I picked up a perfect pair for slightly less than 1/2 of what they went for new. Box and all accessories like new, too. They are pretty freaky. I do like them more than the 3x handheld scope I have. It has nice image quality too, but I like the 1:1/ 0 degree magnification better. They're kinda heavy at first, but then your neck muscles get used to it after a couple days. I can't remember the spec, but the field of vision is pretty decent in real life situations such as walking around the house in night in complete darkness. Walking up stairs takes a little getting used to because of the field of vision, but otherwise quite workable.
Jimmy G

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 08:42 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Yes, just what Tippy needs, an AR-15, and night vision goggles!

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 11:53 AM

How is the depth perception. Because I know that the NVG's that us military guys have has HORRIBLE depth perception. It's like a blind dog running around the house.

--There is a wrong way to eat a Reese's, and I will find it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Actually not too bad...I think that the ones the military uses are actually a monocular with 2 eyepieces..The gen 3 models.( if I'm not mistaken)
I would believe, that aspect alone would hinder your depth perception.... I can easily creep around my house in the dark without worrying about falling down. The only thing that's awkward is going up/down stairs, because your field of vision gets cropped. You can't see your feet if you are looking straight ahead....I can read a magazine in the dark, read an anolog clock on the wall, watch my fish in the fishtank...(They see ME PERFECTLY, too). Jimmy G
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 10:14 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DaDuck748
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmyjr
[B...watch my fish in the fishtank...(They see ME PERFECTLY, too). Jimmy G [/B]
They are probably saying, "get the fooking IR rays out of my face!"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Slip-On Rapist
How is the depth perception. Because I know that the NVG's that us military guys have has HORRIBLE depth perception. It's like a blind dog running around the house.
Depends on which set you get. I used some mil-spec that were like wearing blinders with a green lens.
Almost perfect depth perception after you get used to your eyes seeing a couple inches in front of where they normally are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode