is my bike *about* to be stolen? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Chris Sedition Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Sedition
is my bike *about* to be stolen?

you make the call:
Am I being paranoid, or did someone case my bike?

here's the deal. I and my housemate park our bikes about a block from our house. both are locked with a Kryponite "fahgettaboutit' chain to a large bike rack. both are covered. both are in a pretty well light area.

this morning when i was leaving for work I noticed that someone had taken quite an interest in our bikes. the covers had been pulled up over the back wheel and a good ways up the side.

my first thought was that someone was skoping to strip parts or try to steal the bikes. on second thought i wondered who would be dumb enough to case a bike and then tip the owners off that something was up by leaving them 1/2 way uncovered. who knows.

what do you guys think? is it time to buy a shotgun or time to visit the shrink for paranoid schizophrenia?

-chr|s sedition

LISTEN TO SLAYER
AIM: chR1s sedition
Yahoo: CSedition

2003 R1 (black / red / hell-fire)

"All black, no bling"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 07:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Time to lay in the bushes with a rifle for a couple nights. You don't just lift up a bike cover for the fun of it. Sounds like something is about to go down.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 07:33 PM

Re: is my bike *about* to be stolen?

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Sedition
you make the call:

here's the deal. I and my housemate park our bikes about a block from our house. both are locked with a Kryponite "fahgettaboutit' chain to a large bike rack. both are covered. both are in a pretty well light area.

this morning when i was leaving for work I noticed that someone had taken quite an interest in our bikes. the covers had been pulled up over the back wheel and a good ways up the side.

my first thought was that someone was skoping to strip parts or try to steal the bikes. on second thought i wondered who would be dumb enough to case a bike and then tip the owners off that something was up by leaving them 1/2 way uncovered. who knows.

what do you guys think? is it time to buy a shotgun or time to visit the shrink for paranoid schizophrenia?

-chr|s sedition
If they wanted it, they would have had it. You would be bikeless by now unless they were just kids. This is my only guess.

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 05:41 AM

I agree with the dude from Texas. If they wanted it, they would have it.....EVEN the kryptonite locks are no match for an experienced lock picker. Granted, tube type locks are tougher to compromise than a padlock, but they are NOT unstoppable. Kryptonite locks have a sliding plastic thing that looks like it protects the lock from moisture, but in reality , the cover is to prevent someone from using a tube lock picker....Trust me, they are NOT easy for the inexperienced...( me) I am NOT a thief, but am an "amatuer" locksmith. I can open just about any key lock I come accross.
However.....I have NEVER tried to pick a car/bike lock. American cars are the hardest in the world..(believe it or not) That's why thieves use other ways to compromize the lock. They usually just drill it out or use a dent puller , for the ignition. and break the window to get inside. The ones that are easy ( from what I understand)are foreign cars. ( the ones without a chip). Good Luck and I HOPE nothing happens to your bike.... Keep it safe! Jimmy G.

P.S. If you DO find someone messing with your bike, Tie them up, beat the shit out of them, then leave them somewhere in the woods. Just be nice and call the police from a payphone to let them know where you dumped the bodies....
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Chris Sedition Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Sedition
well, it was still there this morning (the day after). i went out and checked at like daybreak security patrols the area pretty often and i checked-in with them last night about it and they said they'd keep an eye out. agreed, if a pro really wanted my bike there is nothing i can do to stop it.

hopefully it was just local wingnuts wanting a peek or custom job in which i didn't own what they were looking for.

*shrugs*
-chr|s sedition

LISTEN TO SLAYER

"All black, no bling"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmyjr
I agree with the dude from Texas. If they wanted it, they would have it.....EVEN the kryptonite locks are no match for an experienced lock picker. Granted, tube type locks are tougher to compromise than a padlock, but they are NOT unstoppable. Kryptonite locks have a sliding plastic thing that looks like it protects the lock from moisture, but in reality , the cover is to prevent someone from using a tube lock picker....Trust me, they are NOT easy for the inexperienced...( me) I am NOT a thief, but am an "amatuer" locksmith. I can open just about any key lock I come accross.
However.....I have NEVER tried to pick a car/bike lock. American cars are the hardest in the world..(believe it or not) That's why thieves use other ways to compromize the lock. They usually just drill it out or use a dent puller , for the ignition. and break the window to get inside. The ones that are easy ( from what I understand)are foreign cars. ( the ones without a chip). Good Luck and I HOPE nothing happens to your bike.... Keep it safe! Jimmy G.

P.S. If you DO find someone messing with your bike, Tie them up, beat the shit out of them, then leave them somewhere in the woods. Just be nice and call the police from a payphone to let them know where you dumped the bodies....

If you know someone who is able to pick those kryptonite locks, let them know. They go absolutly apes**t over that kind of stuff. So far they claim that those new fagetaboutit locks havent been done.
Not that there arent plenty of other methods just as easy as lockpicking that can get through that lock in a jiffy.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 10:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DaDuck748
It's probably just kids. Peeps always wanna check out your ride. If it's not theirs, why would they want to bother themselves with covering the bike, after they've taken a look?

You're right, a thief would have covered his tracks by covering the bikes and laying low.

Either that or they just want to spook ya, get you paranoid. Then at night, they'll enter your home, rape ya and slash your throat.

Sorry, I couldn't let the opportunity escape me.

Last edited by DaDuck748; 03-28-2005 at 06:12 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Re: is my bike *about* to be stolen?

Quote:
you make the call:

-chr|s sedition
in retrospect, i should have bought the shotgun. hah.

replying to his own posts,
-chr|s sedition

LISTEN TO SLAYER

"All black, no bling"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 07:11 PM

just curious why you park so far away, i'd keep mine in my bed, but it's hard to spoon something that big..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 07:58 PM

Re: Re: is my bike *about* to be stolen?

Quote:
in retrospect, i should have bought the shotgun. hah.

replying to his own posts,
-chr|s sedition
Seeing this thread resurrected brings unpleasantness to mind.

Sorry your wheels got ripped, Chris, and thanks for your contribution to my theft prevention inquiry.

I hope the effers who took your bike die from eye cancer.

Death to thieves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode